Craftsman/King Seeley 9x30 Lathe

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Woodknack updated 09-21-2014 06:50 AM 6 parts 32106 reads 50 comments total

Part 1: Stand finished and first turning

03-30-2013 03:33 AM by Woodknack | 24 comments »

I happened across this Craftsman lathe, the previous owner hated it and wanted $50 for it so I took it home. It came with a 2×4 stand, 1/3HP motor, 2 faceplates, a spur drive and cup center. First thing I did was disassemble, clean, and reassemble everything. Some things had been put together wrong; the drive pulley was in the wrong place so the indexing pin wouldn’t engage and the tailstock handwheel would move in and out instead of the ram. The bearings seemed fine out of the...

Read this entry »

Part 2: Shop made disc sander lathe attachment

04-14-2013 02:16 AM by Woodknack | 4 comments »

I picked up some 6” psa sandpaper at the Borg, cut a couple MDF circles and attached them to faceplates. The stand is made from 1/2”x 3” black pipe and a floor flange. I found some 9” psa discs online so I can go a bit bigger.

Read this entry »

Part 3: Measuring lathe speed with an ink jet printer and fluorescent light

04-21-2013 11:15 PM by Woodknack | 8 comments »

After switching my lathe to a variable speed DC motor I had no way of knowing it’s range so rather than buying a digital tachometer for a one off measurement I used some old tech… a homemade strobe tachometer. A google image search yielded a variety of discs designed for measuring speeds from 60 rpm up to 7200 rpm. After printing out 4 papers discs I found my lathe is capable of 240 rpm up to an estimated 2,800 rpm (estimated because this method jumps from 2,400 to 3,600 rpm). I d...

Read this entry »

Part 4: Lathe tool holder and disc sander

10-25-2013 06:03 PM by Woodknack | 1 comment »

Please excuse the messy shop. I feel like I spend more time cleaning than woodworking and it’s still cluttered. Disc sander attachment for lathe. 8” MDF disc, faceplate is holly, glued and screwed to disc, tapped to 3/4-16. Part of a holly branch which usually wouldn’t be useful but I drilled out the pith to prevent checking, it dried just fine. Lathe tool holder from PVC pipe. I really like this. Initially screwed directly to the wood stand, I quickly reali...

Read this entry »

Part 5: Banjo tune-up

06-09-2014 04:23 AM by Woodknack | 4 comments »

King Seeley never bothered to clean up the parts after casting, that was left to future owners and most of them didn’t. My lathe was around for 54 years and most surfaces were rough as a cob when I brought it home. Here I’m cleaning up the banjo.

Read this entry »

Part 6: Finally made a home + important trivia facts

09-21-2014 06:50 AM by Woodknack | 9 comments »

Been putting this off for bookoo long time.Gotta rip out this workbench to make a home for my lathe. Fun trivia: That paper tacked to the wall under the hammer is a plan I drew for a set of end tables I made in 1999, it’s been there since. Demo! Trivia: the plastic bag hanging askew left of the auger bits has been there about 16 years. It’s a clear mounting plate for a router table. I built a router table without using it. Hammerthumb, if you are watchi...

Read this entry »

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics