LumberJocks

Laguna 20" Planer setup

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by whope posted 04-27-2020 09:11 PM 305 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I ordered my planer from Woodcraft and after discussing it with the store manager, I decided to pick it up at the store as there was no guarantee that the trucking company would get it inside my garage shop. I rented a 10’ U-Haul and an engine hoist. At 900+ pounds, I would have needed to rent the engine hoist anyway to get it off the pallet. I had also ordered a mobile base to make it easier to move, but it didn’t arrive before the planer.

When I got it home, it took a while to get it out of the truck. Had the unit been much higher, the engine hoist wouldn’t have been able to lift the planer high enough to get it off the pallet. The unit wasn’t bolted to the pallet as I had expected after watching some YouTube videos, the base was just blocked in. Once I got the pallet cleared out from under the planer, I pulled the truck forward so I could lower the planer when I went to pull it back into the garage.

The instructions are typical for Laguna tools that are outsourced. And no setup videos from Laguna that I could find.

I spent about 30 minutes getting the outfeed table on and adjusted. When I tightened up the bolts, the table would go from about 1/16” below the bed to 1/16” above the bed. No amount of fiddling would get the table level with the bed. The adjustment screws are right under the bolts, so it’s a bit of a hassle to tighten the bolts. I finally decided to adjust the table so it tips up a little and tightened the bolts. Then I took my dead-blow hammer and knocked the table back down so it was even with the bed. Then I backed out the adjustment screws until a straight edge showed that the table was level with the planer bed. It only took about 5-10 minutes to do the infeed table in the same manner.

It didn’t take long to clean off the bed and tables and to put some rust-inhibitor on them.

The cables between the base and the box with the power switches weren’t really long enough. There’s a bit of tension on them. I hope it won’t be an issue. The cables run over one of the locking knobs for locking the bed in place. A poor design choice there.

The dust extraction hood had a 5” outlet, something I failed to notice, so I have a reducer to 4” on order. I’m also waiting for an electrician to run me a new 220v, 30amp line, and to put a power cable on the planer.

The planer rolls front to back very easily, but getting it turned is a PITA. I’ll definitely want to get it on the mobile base. I’m hoping I don’t have to rent the engine hoist again to do that. So for now, I have a nice looking static display piece.

I bought a motor hours clock and will be adding that to the unit to help keep track of the time on the machine as the manual specifies a lot of maintenance based on how many hours the unit has on it. I’ll have to call Laguna to see what type of oil I need to have on hand. It doesn’t mention it in the manual. There’s a blog entry for adding the hour meter.

Update (5/2/20): The electrician won’t be here until Friday, but I did take a look at how to use the DRO. The battery comes pre-installed, which means if it’s not already dead, it will be soon enough. I first turned it on and the reading danced around all sorts of random numbers. There’s an empty battery indicator in the upper right corner. I replaced the battery, and the DRO started working normally. The information in the manual about the DRO is minimal but sufficient.

Update (5/4/20): I will need the engine hoist to get it on the mobile base. Or I might try to figure out how to lever up each side by using the lifting rods. Still thinking about it. At worst, it’ll wait until my new TS shows up this summer. I’ll need the engine hoist to get that off its pallet. The 5” end of the reducer had the same OD as the 5” port on the planer. To solve this, I took a hacksaw and cut across the 5” opening twice to get 4 cuts down the length of the 5” end done to the shoulder. I could then squeeze the end enough to get it started into the planer port and then ‘politely’ hammered it all the way on to the shoulder. No need for glue or tape.

Update (5/15/20): I queried Laguna about the lubrication, and this is what they sent:

Your planer will require regular lubrication as follows:

- Feed Roller Bushings at the Head Screws – Top of the machine Use a machine way oil like https://tinyurl.com/y9z8hvyc or ISO 68 Equivalent. 2-4 drops into the hole at the top of the 4 head screws every 8 hours of operation

- Columns – Use the same machine way oil as above to lubricate the 4 column uprights Every 40 hours of operation

- Leadscrews – Use an NLGI#2 grease like the following or equivalent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQ01SS/ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N191WZE/ Every 40 hours of operation

- Worm Gear – At the top of the post near crank handle for raising and lowering the table. Use the same NLGI#2 grease listed above for the leadscrews Every 160 hours of operation

- Chains – Roller drive chains and table lift chains Use the same NLGI#2 grease listed above Every 160 hours of operation

- Gearbox – Drain and fill plugs on the gearbox Every 2500 Hours Drain and fill the gearbox with 80-90 wt gear oil like the following or equivalent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NWWIV7W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XC77795

-- Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com