Flag Display And Shadowbox #2: Day 2

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by turkva posted 04-04-2009 04:32 AM 2893 reads 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Day 1 Part 2 of Flag Display And Shadowbox series no next part

I didn’t feel much like going to work today, so I took the day off. I did some odd jobs around the house and managed to carve out some time to work on this project. I looked at all of the rough milled wood, didn’t bend or twist a bit. So I played it safe and ran it all across the jointer, through the planer to final thickness and then ripped it to final width.

I made some prototype case pieces out of cherry scraps I had, and worked out the flag case size. I built a jig to cut the lower flag case miters. I kept it simple, a piece of 3/4 plywood with a 45 degree cut across one end. I glued and nailed a 3 1/2” piece of pine so I could clamp it to the miter gauge. Another strip of pine glued and nailed to the 45 and I had myself a jig. I tried to cut the cherry without the piece of pine on the 45, but found I couldn’t accurately cut the case pieces. I really needed something I could clamp the pieces to to make sure they stayed 90 degrees to the table, and didn’t move side to side.

Here is a picture of the final jig, I know it is ugly, but it worked and kept my fingers away from the blade!

22.5 Degree Jig 01

Here is a picture of the jig with a case piece clamped in

22.5 Degree Jig 02

I was pretty happy with the results of the jig. I will probably hang it on the wall, never know when you might need it again!

After cutting all of the case pieces to length, I started gluing them up. First, two corners of the shadow box. Once they dried, I clamped the two halves together to make the frame. Made sure everything was square, and set it aside to dry.

Two corners glued

2 Corners Glued

Shadow box glued and clamped

Glued and clamped

After that, it was time to assemble the flag case, this proved to be pretty interesting due to the 22.5 degree miters. I cut 4 cauls at 22.5 degrees and glued on some sand paper. I clamped the two blocks together to form a V, then I placed them over the two corners and put a clamp between them and it pulled everything nice and tight.

Flag case glued and clamped

Flag case glued and clamped

While the cases were cooking, I started on the face frame, originally I had the face frame about 1 1/4” wide and 3/8” thick. After laying a molding piece on the prototype case, I found it to be too wide and it really cut down the view of the flag. I ended up at 1” for the width and kept the 3/8” thickness. A simple bead on one side and a chamfer on the other.

Molding profile

Molding Profile

I cut all of my moldings so that I had about 1/16” of an inch overhang on all sides. I glued them up separately, and once everything had set for a couple of hours, I glued the moldings in place on both cases.

While the assemblies were cooking, I made a 3/8” spacer to separate the two cases, I didn’t want them to be directly butted up against each other, I thought it added a little visual interest to the piece.

That is as far as I got today, next time I will be sanding and fitting the backs. I may even get the glass for the cases tomorrow if I have time.

I’ll leave you with a look of where the project is right now, once sanded, I can attach the two cases together and think about finish.

This picture is just one sitting on top of the other. I guess this is a bad camera angle since it looks kind of miss shapen.

Dry fit assembly


-- Accept Nothing, Challenge Everything

1 comment so far

View taborje's profile


2 posts in 4814 days

#1 posted 04-04-2009 01:25 PM

Looking good my brother! Now get some pics up of that new shop of yours.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics