collet chuck

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodturning forum

Forum topic by horacedale posted 01-25-2015 03:52 PM 1109 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View horacedale's profile


4 posts in 1666 days

01-25-2015 03:52 PM

I need a 1 1/4 X 8 tpi collet chuck for my lathe. I’ve had no problem locating a 1 X 8 tpi collet chuck on various websites, but can’t find a 1 1/4 X 8.
Any help in locating where I can look will be much appreciated. Thanks.

-- Dale, Wren MS

3 replies so far

View TheDane's profile


5665 posts in 4111 days

#1 posted 01-25-2015 04:29 PM

horacedale—Can’t help you with spindle-mounted collet chucks, but I have a set of #2 morse taper collet chucks from ( ).

These require a 3/8”x16tpi draw bar, but are relatively inexpensive and are dead-on accurate.

When I first got my lathe, I bought a spindle-mounted collet chuck set (1”x8tpi) from Penn State … runout was so bad (+-.0025) that it was pretty much unusable.

-- Gerry -- "I don't plan to ever really grow up ... I'm just going to learn how to act in public!"

View Wildwood's profile


2689 posts in 2582 days

#2 posted 01-25-2015 09:13 PM

View mpax356's profile


80 posts in 2940 days

#3 posted 01-26-2015 10:15 PM

Craft Supply sells one called the Apprentice. Reviews I have read seem to find their knurled locking nut easier to use then the Beall which requires a spanner? wrench that comes with it.

-- MPax, Atlanta

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics