Question about flooring

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by chadgr posted 12-31-2014 08:10 PM 901 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View chadgr's profile


89 posts in 2772 days

12-31-2014 08:10 PM

Ok so I am about to embark on a massive house renovation project and after design and thought i have come to a problem.

The problem is that I’m going to lay solid wood floor throughout my house, at the moment there is laminate flooring, at 3 locations throughout the house there is a tiled floor where the solid wood floor will have to become flush with however this is not possible since i do not want to raise the level of the tiles. A standard threshold is too small i think because the height difference is around 15mm roughly.

I have drawn some diagrams below to explain possibly what I can do.

The red is the solid wood flooring and the teal is the tiles
the white part is a thought i had about a custom type threshold

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

-- Chad Griffiths Vist my Etsy Shop

5 replies so far

View pjones46's profile


1001 posts in 3204 days

#1 posted 12-31-2014 08:37 PM

I assume you will be removing the laminate flooring. There must be some flooring guys as members of L J that can offer alternatives to the problem of the transition, make a wood threshold is the quick fix. The problem with a threshold is that it increases the chances of tripping even when you extended further out over the tile to gain height to meet the height of the wood floor. Your only a little over a ½” so that may not be a real issue.

When I did my house I removed a layer of the subflooring which just by luck made existing floor levels match to the new solid wood floor level.

-- Respectfully, Paul

View Hammerthumb's profile


2972 posts in 2536 days

#2 posted 12-31-2014 08:45 PM

Most hardwood flooring distributors sell transition moldings for this purpose. It is better to make them yourself though as you can custom make them to match existing elevations. The pre-made ones are for 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”, etc.

-- Paul, Duvall, WA

View TravisH's profile


694 posts in 2496 days

#3 posted 12-31-2014 10:55 PM

If going that route just use the quarter round in my house that ear covering the wood floor would be snapped, cracked, etc… in no time flat.

View TravisH's profile


694 posts in 2496 days

#4 posted 12-31-2014 10:57 PM

I would be more tempted to use a rabbet in the wood floor to cover out over the tile if the thickness would be there but still not high on my list of things as I am more the type to pull the ceramic floor and run continuous wood floors throughout (unless bathroom).

View ChuckC's profile


844 posts in 3496 days

#5 posted 01-01-2015 01:44 AM

Rabbet the wood floor so it covers the tile. Then round over or chamfer the edge.

Any little piece of round over you add (like above) won’t last very long.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics