Repair rotted door

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by Jack Dalton posted 11-08-2014 08:01 PM 994 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Jack Dalton's profile

Jack Dalton

32 posts in 4027 days

11-08-2014 08:01 PM

The casing on our back door has rotted about 8” up from the bottom on one side. I remember recently seeing an article in a woodworking magazine on how to make a repair using a piece of PVC board.
I have looked through my recent magazines an have not fund it. Does anyone know which book it appeared in?

-- I leave behind little bits of beauty to compensate for for my impact on this world.

4 replies so far

View Rob's profile


704 posts in 3711 days

#1 posted 11-08-2014 08:32 PM

I don’t think I’ve seen that article, but I’ve read several articles online for repairing wood trim with epoxy filler or replacing it with PVC board. Although a few articles suggest you can just harden the rotted wood with epoxy, I think that’s only for minor cosmetic surface repair. Most articles recommend removing the rotten material all the way down, until you hit good solid wood. I would assume using PVC board for the repair would be similar. I considered replacing my trim with PVC, but in the end I just used pressure treated wood because it was a lot cheaper ($5 vs. $60+) and I couldn’t find the slow-set PVC cement that was recommended in the articles (I would have had to miter and cement two long boards together since I couldn’t find a PVC board thicker than 3/4”).

-- Ask an expert or be the expert -

View dustyal's profile


1315 posts in 4116 days

#2 posted 11-08-2014 09:19 PM


Here is one link explaining the process.

Click here to view article.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View Dallas's profile


3599 posts in 3128 days

#3 posted 11-08-2014 09:21 PM

PVC wouldn’t be my choice, but it may be what you want.

If it were me I would lap joint both pieces and join them from the back with screws and in the joint with whatever is recommended for a wood/pvc joint.
There is also the method of angling both cuts so they slide together until they fit correctly. Then you’ll still have to glue and screw, except this way you can do it from the front, plug the screw holes and paint the wood.

You can also buy just the pieces you need to change both sides and the threshold completely. That would be my choice, using a type of wood that is less inclined to rot.

I would also do my best to figure out why it rotted in the first place. Obviously there was a water leakage. Are you sure that was fixed? Have you removed the jamb to see if there is more damage in the framing or substrate?

-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!

View runswithscissors's profile


3081 posts in 2666 days

#4 posted 11-08-2014 09:36 PM

Dallas: Your suggestion reminds me of a friend’s experience. In replacing a toilet seat, he cracked the porcelain. In removing the broken throne, he discovered rot in the floor. In replacing the floor, he found rot in the joists.

Sometimes it’s better not to know. Does the saying, “Let sleeping dogs lie” apply here?

-- I admit to being an adrenaline junky; fortunately, I'm very easily frightened

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics