Help with Cabinet Hinges for Refinishing project

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by skydiver posted 10-06-2014 10:36 PM 1375 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View skydiver's profile


15 posts in 3495 days

10-06-2014 10:36 PM

So my wife started the project to refinish our kitchen cabinets before consulting with me and now I am left with the enviable problem with replacing the old brass hinges to match the new brushed stainless steel hardware.

I have found that my current hinges are next to impossible to find. They are a full wrap face frame mounted hinge that go on the cabinet face that has a 3/8” inset with a 1/2” lip overhang. The barrel of the hing is the only part on the old brass hinges that are visible. I have checked every hinge supplier I could find online to find comparable hinges in nickle or stainless to no avail.

I am now contemplating trying to retrofit the cabinets to a European hidden cup hinge but the two cup hinge manufacturers I spoke too just referred me to their catalog to choose. This problem is I cannot figure out what hinge combination I would use to properly position the cabinet in the face frames with the proper inset while still having the pivot point for the cabinet door properly position to prevent binding with the overlay & inset and since these are a retrofit, I don’t have a spare cabinet to drill a cup cut into to test.

Has anyone any suggestions

3 replies so far

View WhoMe's profile


1568 posts in 4533 days

#1 posted 10-06-2014 11:03 PM

Oooo, not a good place to be in….
I have gotten a lot of experience troubleshooting things like this and one of the first things I ask a customer is if the design of the door will accommodate the 35mm hole for the cup. Many frame and panel doors will not accept the cup/hole as drilling it will go through the routed profiles between the stiles and the panel. In many cases, the stiles are too narrow too. If you can do the cup in the door, I know Blum or Salice makes a eupopran style hinge for partial inset doors but they are price at more than $30 a pair. Here is an example.

Secondly, do you have to go a full wrap? can you find the same configuration in a partial wrap hinge. If, so,
I found this inset partial wrap hinge. It may help you based on what I understand your needs are. Hopefully, this is what you are looking for.
Good luck

-- I'm not clumsy.. It's just the floor hates me, the tables and chairs are bullies, the wall gets in the way AAANNNDDD table saws BITE my fingers!!!.. - Mike -

View gabriellus's profile


48 posts in 2668 days

#2 posted 10-07-2014 07:37 PM

I had a similar type thing recently, painted a built-in bookcase that had 3/8” inset cabinet doors. In hindsight, I should have build new doors and bought new euro-style hinges, but I ended up getting these and spray painting them to match the rest of the hardware that we WERE keeping. Looks and works ok.

View Earlextech's profile


1164 posts in 3981 days

#3 posted 10-07-2014 09:12 PM

Try here –

-- Sam Hamory - The project is never finished until its "Finished"!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics