What is this joint called and how would you make it?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Joinery forum

Forum topic by ssbothwell posted 04-04-2014 08:52 PM 10655 views 2 times favorited 20 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View ssbothwell's profile


13 posts in 3451 days

04-04-2014 08:52 PM

This joint is really common in stretcher bars for canvas paintings. I’m having trouble working out how to the joint is made. I guess its a variation on a bridle joint.

its not clear in this photo but one of the faces is cut to a slight bevel (usually between 6 and 12 degrees).

20 replies so far

View JayT's profile


6159 posts in 2571 days

#1 posted 04-04-2014 08:56 PM

I believe it is a mitered bridle joint.

Edit: I stand corrected. Here it is shown as a mitered double bridle joint.

-- In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

View dbhost's profile


5772 posts in 3592 days

#2 posted 04-04-2014 08:57 PM

I am pretty sure that joint is called a “Folded Miter Joint”. And while I have never made (or personally seen one up close and persona), I do believe either Shopnotes, or Wood Magazine a while back had a HOWTO article on those… Looks like a very strong, but somewhat difficult to make joint…

-- Please like and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

View bandit571's profile


22755 posts in 3043 days

#3 posted 04-04-2014 09:00 PM

Think more along the lines of a mitered half lap joint. Then cut out about half of each lap. Cut the slot for the lap to go into the corner. Lay out the miter first, but only a quarter of the way down. Each lap is also a quarter of the thickness. Miter=1/4, lap=1/4,slot= 1/4, and the other miter = 1/4 of the board’s thickness. be sure to mark where each part goes, THEN cut with a saw.

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

View patron's profile


13648 posts in 3701 days

#4 posted 04-04-2014 09:18 PM

after the joint itself is done
then do the face bevel
as you will need the parts to be square
for the joint themselves

-- david - only thru kindness can this world be whole . If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure. Dan Quayle

View steve_in_ohio's profile


1195 posts in 1970 days

#5 posted 04-04-2014 09:21 PM

here is something very similar that shows you how to make it

-- steve, simple and effective

View bigblockyeti's profile


5675 posts in 2080 days

#6 posted 04-04-2014 09:54 PM

I agree with the first post of it being a mitered double bridle joint. I would make it using a tenoning jig on the tablesaw.

-- "Lack of effort will result in failure with amazing predictability" - Me

View Grumpymike's profile


2375 posts in 2675 days

#7 posted 04-04-2014 10:01 PM

I’ve heard it called as Jay T says a “Mitered Bridle joint”, and as someone said a “Double Miter Bridal”.

A half lap would be one piece cut half way through on a 45 and the other piece the reciprocal.

A bridal joint is one piece with two sides (think open ended mortise) and the other is like a tenon, and slides into the mortise.

So, with all that being said, It’s a “Mitered Double Bridal Joint” That’s my story and I’m sticking to it …

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View ssbothwell's profile


13 posts in 3451 days

#8 posted 04-04-2014 10:04 PM

whoa, thanks for all the information! this just about covers it. i’ll have to play around with my tenon jig and see if i can figure it out.

these joints get mass produced on an industrial scale for all the stretcher bars sold at every art store in the world so there must be a pretty simple way of cutting it.

View Grumpymike's profile


2375 posts in 2675 days

#9 posted 04-05-2014 05:01 PM

Called an old high school chum that worked in a frame factory till he retired. He says that they made the Double Bridle miters on a ‘shaper’ with multiple sets of heads … (As you know a shaper is like a giant router).

I would really like to see how you do on this scary looking joint … in the mean time I will be playing in my shop to see what I can do.

-- Grumpy old guy, and lookin' good Doin' it. ... Surprise Az.

View Alvinstan's profile


1 post in 33 days

#10 posted 04-18-2019 07:45 PM

The real name of this joint is MITRE FACED BRIDLE JOINT…actually i was been given this joint as a project in school..
Yet to construct it…

View MrRon's profile


5432 posts in 3603 days

#11 posted 04-18-2019 08:36 PM

I would cut the mortise and tenon first; then cut the miter, 1/4 down on one side ; then 1/2 down on the other side.

View Aj2's profile


2197 posts in 2158 days

#12 posted 04-18-2019 08:37 PM

That’s one heck of a school to give you a joint for a project :)

-- Aj

View MSquared's profile


431 posts in 274 days

#13 posted 04-18-2019 09:06 PM

I went to a high school where joints were part of the “Unofficial Curriculum”, as decided by the Student Body. Her name was Maryanne! ;)

-- Marty, Long Island, NY

View ColonelTravis's profile


1976 posts in 2254 days

#14 posted 04-18-2019 09:45 PM

I call it: glue-a-simple-miter-and-add-a-spline-instead-of-this-crap joint.
But that’s just me.

View Carlos510's profile


259 posts in 732 days

#15 posted 04-18-2019 10:16 PM

Your right ssbothwell it is a bridle joint but more specifically it is called a “canvas-stretcher joint” The slite bevels (angles) are to slip in wedges to stretch the canvas. “Good Wood Joints” published by Collins in 1995 has a full page outlining how to cut them with illustrations. The frame was assembled without glue and the canvas stretched over it for the painter, as the humidity changed you could drive in wedges to keep the canvas tight.

I guess you could call them “miter faced Double bridal joints” ha, ha.

-- "If time is money, then I need a loan" ,

showing 1 through 15 of 20 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics