Dust collector fittings question

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by JimNEB posted 09-18-2013 03:26 AM 955 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View JimNEB's profile


239 posts in 3636 days

09-18-2013 03:26 AM

Topic tags/keywords: dust collection question

I’ve looked at every thing I can find on fittings (now my wife says I don’t do a very good job of looking for stuff.) I want to connect a gate right to the outlet on my table saw or else right at the wye going into my dust collector. Problem is thy ate both the same OD :(. I figured there would be a fitting that would fit over each and bada-bing it would be done. Easy peasy japanese…but I can’t find any thing like that, the best my feeble brain can come up with is to cut a short piece of hose and connect to each, not very elegant.

-- Jim, Nebraska

3 replies so far

View rum's profile


148 posts in 3154 days

#1 posted 09-18-2013 06:08 AM

You don’t say what size it is – assuming 4”?

I’ve had pretty good luck just taking parts and pieces down to the local hardware stores and junk yards looking for possibly matching parts (my setups all look kinda rube goldberg but they mostly work pretty well).

In this case you’re looking for something you can use as a sleeve.

You might find a piece of stove pipe that would fit or perhaps a rubber clamp-on sewer pipe fitting would work.

If its a little loose get some of the “duct sealant” from the hardware store and goop it on there. It goes on globby and dries hard (but not so hard you can’t break the join later if you need to).

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

5844 posts in 3061 days

#2 posted 09-18-2013 11:17 AM

Get a short piece of 4” PVC (thinwall, astm 2729), say 5-6” long. Cut a slit down the side (you may have to cut out a small 1/2” or so section) then wrap it around the 2 fitting, put SS clamps on each end, tape the split.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

View rrww's profile


263 posts in 2681 days

#3 posted 09-18-2013 11:38 AM

I would look for a rubber sewer fitting with hose clamps on both ends.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics