T Track Bolts Question

  • Advertise with us

« back to Jigs & Fixtures forum

Forum topic by copcarcollector posted 11-04-2012 04:44 AM 2386 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View copcarcollector's profile


256 posts in 3614 days

11-04-2012 04:44 AM

Newbie here, forgive me!!

I have added some Rockler T Trak to a countertop / workbench I am making. Honestly I just wanted to mess around with the T Track, hold downs etc.

My question is, does anyone make a bolt for the T Track that you can insert in the middle of a run of track, then turn 1/4 turn, and clamp down with the knob or jig or whatever. I figured the T Track bolts worked this way, but the bolts I have don’t – I have to slide the bolt in from one end, the run it all the way down the track to wherever I want the clamp. I have a 16 foot run of track, maybe I should have investigated how T Track works first!

Any help or insight appreciated. When I was working in theatre lighting we had basically the same thing upside down on the ceiling, but we could slide the bolt (nut technically) in the track, then make a 1/4 turn and it would engage the rails, then tighten it down. I can’t recall what that track was called——Ahh – Unistrut.

If I have not explained what I thought the bolts would do, let me know.

4 replies so far

View Loren's profile


11550 posts in 5144 days

#1 posted 11-04-2012 05:01 AM

You want a drop-in nut or drop-in stud. You can get them
for 80-20 type profiles. T-track is typically shallower,
but you can grind the stud head down.

For that matter carriage bolts could be ground down
to function as drop-ins.

View johnLT's profile


24 posts in 3635 days

#2 posted 11-04-2012 05:05 AM

Loren, thanks for the response. Never thought of grinding down the head. Don’t have to buy anything to solve this problem!!!

View FirehouseWoodworking's profile


792 posts in 4770 days

#3 posted 11-04-2012 05:11 AM

You may also be able to use toilet flange bolts. They have the two sides of the head flat rather than a round head. They are designed to do exactly what you want to do, except they are used on the toilet floor flange. they should work in T-Trac.


-- Dave; Lansing, Kansas

View cutworm's profile


1075 posts in 4290 days

#4 posted 11-04-2012 12:23 PM

I did that with carriage bolts. I ground 2 sides flat. At your local ACE Hardware they have a section for specialty bolts. My bet is that they have them but it will cost you.

-- Steve - "Never Give Up"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics