This is somewhat wood related

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by MrRon posted 08-11-2012 10:53 PM 1037 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View MrRon's profile


5994 posts in 4253 days

08-11-2012 10:53 PM

I thought about posting this over on the “non-shop-talk” forum, but it didn’t seem to belong there either, so here goes. The swing of a door has always driven me bonkers. When is it a RH or LH door? Some say if the door swings towards you and to the left, it’s a LH swing. Others say if the door swings away from you and to the right, then it’s a RH door. Then there is the LH and RH reverse bevel. Is there any way to straighten this out for me.

5 replies so far

View Granddaddy1's profile


182 posts in 3211 days

#1 posted 08-12-2012 12:07 AM

Face the door as it will swing to you. If the latch is in the right its a right hand door. That’s the way its done in Texas.

Storm and screen doors are opposite. They are called as right or left “hinge”. So if the latch is on the right its a left hinge door.

-- Ron Wilson - maker of fine firewood!

View jm8's profile


69 posts in 3322 days

#2 posted 08-12-2012 12:20 AM

Handing a door can be confusing. A door is only considered a RH or LH swing. Where reverse bevel comes into play is only in describing the location of a keyed lock. A RH swing door is a door that swings away from you and the hinges are on the right. A LH swing is the same but the hinges are on the L. Reverse bevel comes into play when there is a keyed lock involved, and where it is located on the door. If the keyed side is on the side of the door that opens towards you then it is considered a reverse bevel, and depending where the hinges are, it would be either RH reverse (Hinges on your right)as the door swings towards you, or LH reverse (Hinges on your left) If the door swings away from you and the keyed lock is on that side then it is still either a RH or LH swing, only when the keyed side is on the side that swings towards you, would it be considered reverse bevel.
This is probably as clear as mud.

peace to all.

-- Joe from Western Ma.... Peace to all

View DonnyD's profile


49 posts in 3184 days

#3 posted 08-12-2012 01:15 AM

stand with back to hinge side of jam if door swings right its rh

View bandit571's profile


27846 posts in 3693 days

#4 posted 08-12-2012 02:01 AM

That’s the way i was taught. IF you stand with your back to where the hinges are ( or will be) and you want the door to swing to your right, you need a RH door. Doesn’t matter about in-swing/out-swing just stand where you want the hinges to be on a new door opening. If you then want it to swing outward ( or inward) note which direction that is from where you stand IN the opening.

If you wanted an out swinging door, with the hinges on the right as you are looking out the opening, hmmm, that would be a RH door. simple as that. Try it out sometime…..

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

View JAGWAH's profile


929 posts in 4094 days

#5 posted 08-12-2012 04:06 AM

Put your butt to the butts, which ever direction it swings is the hand left or right.

-- ~Just A Guy With A Hammer~

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics