Any idea what this handheld vise type tool is????

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by IndianaJohn posted 06-04-2012 04:05 AM 2911 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View IndianaJohn's profile


21 posts in 2834 days

06-04-2012 04:05 AM

This was found in a box of old woodworking tools – planes, chisels, etc. It’s like a handheld vise of some sort. Does anyone know what this is called or what it would be used for???

2 replies so far

View Loren's profile


10477 posts in 4152 days

#1 posted 06-04-2012 04:10 AM

It is sometimes called a jeweler’s hand vise. I am sure it
is used in other trades as well.

View Sylvain's profile


879 posts in 3004 days

#2 posted 06-04-2012 08:35 AM

It is used to hold small parts so that you can file, saw, carve, grind, heat, ... without cuting into your hand.

“jeweler’s hand vise” as Loren said.
I would say also any trade making fine mechanic like clock and instrument makers.

edit : still available:,7287.html

A vise-grip plyer would now probably do the job (with other advantages or inconvenients).,6622.html

-- Sylvain, Brussels, Belgium, Europe - The more I learn, the more there is to learn

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics