Wood Glue, Contact Cement, or Construction Adhesive to Attach 1/4" Plywood End Panels to Cabinet

  • Advertise with us

« back to Joinery forum

Forum topic by JIMMIEM posted 05-11-2021 10:53 PM 668 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View JIMMIEM's profile


212 posts in 1961 days

05-11-2021 10:53 PM

I’m trying to decide how to attach 1/4” plywood end panels to a plywood wall cabinet that I am in process of building. The cabinet ends are 36” tall and 13” wide. I will make the end panels oversized and use a router and flush trim bit after attaching them.
Advice based on experience, please.

4 replies so far

View SMP's profile


4156 posts in 1025 days

#1 posted 05-11-2021 11:00 PM

I would use wood glue or contact cement. If contact cement, follow instructions and no need for pins. If wood glue then some pins to hold it while glue dries. I usually just use the little foam rollers to roll it on smooth and uniform.

Like for example this is 1/4” oak ply I contact cemented to these in-stock bare cabinets from Home Depot probably 15 years ago:

View AlaskaGuy's profile


6633 posts in 3428 days

#2 posted 05-11-2021 11:48 PM

I have used 1/4 plywood, door skins and 3M Peel and stick veneer with contact cement as long as I remember. Never had a problem with any application.

I use a spray on contact that work great.

-- Alaskan's for Global warming!

View MrRon's profile


6043 posts in 4363 days

#3 posted 05-13-2021 04:09 AM

Contact cement.

View tvrgeek's profile


1941 posts in 2768 days

#4 posted 05-13-2021 09:41 AM

For indoor, contact cement, though I have used PVA and powered resin. The latter require clamping which is difficult on large pieces. Sand bags work.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics