Does this exist? - Spray-pencil?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Jigs & Fixtures forum

Forum topic by totalrewind posted 02-09-2021 02:37 AM 328 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View totalrewind's profile


64 posts in 3354 days

02-09-2021 02:37 AM

Topic tags/keywords: question woodburning

If you’re woodburning with a stencil, the usual process is you grab a pencil and trace around the pattern. Then when you’re done, you simply erase the lines.

Not too bad, but the thing is I have a lot of them to do.

Is there such a thing as a pencil (or some other erasable material) in a spray can? That way I can just spray over the stencil and move on.

Can’t use regular spray paint because it won’t erase. Can’t use graphite or chalk dust because it will just blow away. Is there something in between in terms of permanence?

-- For more projects (not just woodworking) check out my project blog at

2 replies so far

View Madmark2's profile


2655 posts in 1670 days

#1 posted 02-09-2021 03:33 AM

Copier toner. Laser (not inkjet) toner is thermally activated. Print your pattern in reverse on laser. Lay printed side down on wood and use HOT iron to transfer pattern.

Thick lines transfer better. Surface should be sanded smooth first.

-- The hump with the stump and the pump!

View Rich's profile


6840 posts in 1671 days

#2 posted 02-09-2021 04:16 AM

Madmark2 has your answer. Good advice.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics