Help me Identify this hand plane

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by PlaneAddict213 posted 01-22-2021 02:38 PM 434 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View PlaneAddict213's profile


1 post in 37 days

01-22-2021 02:38 PM

Topic tags/keywords: hand plane planer plane

Hi all, i bought this plane a while back and am in the process of restoring it, but i can’t seem to find any markings or signs of who made it. Anyone have any ideas?

The plane :
The plane bed and bottom of the frog :

8 replies so far

View HokieKen's profile


16655 posts in 2147 days

#1 posted 01-22-2021 06:37 PM

The front knob and depth adjustment knob look like some Stanley types but I don’t think that they ever etched the size (in inches rather than model) in the bottom of the frog. Also any types with the lateral adjuster and that frog reciever style should have patent dates cast behind the frog.

Pretty sure the lever cap has been appropriated from a transitional plane.

So, I have no idea… Any patent dates or other markings cast into the bed anywhere or stamped into the lateral adjust lever?

-- I collect hobbies. There is no sense in limiting yourself (Don W) - - - - - - - - Kenny in SW VA

View BurlyBob's profile


8482 posts in 3274 days

#2 posted 01-22-2021 08:21 PM

I’m thinking it’s a franken plane. Sort of like that old Johnny Cash song, ‘One piece at a time’. Cobbled together from a bunch of parts.

View corelz125's profile


2365 posts in 1984 days

#3 posted 01-22-2021 08:32 PM

It might be part Ohio tool and part stanley

View Briman's profile


5 posts in 38 days

#4 posted 01-22-2021 08:42 PM

The lever cap and frog is definitely not stanley as they never had a lever cap look like that or a lateral adjustment that was flat. I think I have seen those type of lateral adjustments on a fulton plane. Most Likely a franken plane. I would turn it into a scrub plane.

-- It was too perfect. It looked machine made- Ron Swanson

View SMP's profile


3429 posts in 914 days

#5 posted 01-22-2021 08:50 PM

I remember seeing a lever cap with that mustache before, hopefully Don pops in here

View drsurfrat's profile


476 posts in 195 days

#6 posted 01-22-2021 10:34 PM

Definitely Frankenplane. Stanley iron and chipbreaker, Stanley Transitional lever cap (moustache), Union or Ohio bed and frog – or neither since no makings. 5~1/2 size given the 2~1/4” iron marking.

So clean it up and call it a “YOOZER” . Nice big jack or small jointer.

-- Mike (near Boston) ... Laziness is the mother of invention, necessity is the mother of exhaustion - me

View corelz125's profile


2365 posts in 1984 days

#7 posted 01-23-2021 01:23 AM

Seeing a bigger pic of it I thought it might of been a Stanley transitional lever cap but it doesn’t have the stippling on it. Looks more like a Union transitional lever cap. That lateral adjuster might be shop made seeing the copper pinning of it.

View Don W's profile

Don W

19889 posts in 3576 days

#8 posted 01-23-2021 10:02 PM

I think Mike was pretty close. transitional lever cap, Probably a Union or Stanley bed, they’re both about the same, I can’t tell them apart anyhow. The lateral is probably Union but maybe replace or maybe just fixed. Make it a user and let it live.

-- - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics