What, exactly, are these? They came with the house.

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by NickDraxton posted 08-09-2020 06:30 PM 1005 views 0 times favorited 10 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View NickDraxton's profile


4 posts in 47 days

08-09-2020 06:30 PM

I’ve been unable to find similar tools for sale anywhere. They look like large curved drawknives. I know they’re manufactured in England but beyond that I have no idea what they are, or what they’re worth.

10 replies so far

View John Smith's profile

John Smith

2682 posts in 1015 days

#1 posted 08-09-2020 07:12 PM

scorp inshave for making chair seats ???


-- there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks. --

View NickDraxton's profile


4 posts in 47 days

#2 posted 08-09-2020 07:24 PM

They aren’t curved enough to really do that, I think.

The other said says MADE IN ENGLAND

and (Unreadable) HAMBLE (UNREADABLE)

Also, the side pictured above, is concave. The ‘top’ side is convex.

View ibewjon's profile


1972 posts in 3646 days

#3 posted 08-09-2020 08:30 PM

I sent the picture to a friend in England. Waiting for reply. Could these be tools for cutting and trimming thatched roofs?

View Mr_Pink's profile


196 posts in 1224 days

#4 posted 08-09-2020 09:07 PM

Do the edges look like they were really meant to cut? If so, does it look like both edges were sharpened?

The way the handles are mounted doesn’t look right for a cutting tool. They kind of look like some sort of wacky British trowel.

View BlasterStumps's profile


1792 posts in 1292 days

#5 posted 08-09-2020 09:21 PM

I’m guessing fleshing tools or hide scrapers

-- "I build for function first, looks second. Most times I never get around to looks." MIke in CO

View SMP's profile


2476 posts in 758 days

#6 posted 08-09-2020 10:20 PM

I m guessing fleshing tools or hide scrapers

- BlasterStumps

Yeah could have been Norman Bates’ old house. But does look like some tannery tools.

View bandit571's profile


26507 posts in 3536 days

#7 posted 08-09-2020 10:33 PM

Bread slicers?

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

View JohnMcClure's profile


1088 posts in 1493 days

#8 posted 08-09-2020 11:49 PM

I found this, looks like the same tool:

Leatherworking tools.

-- I'd rather be a hammer than a nail

View mel52's profile


1653 posts in 1117 days

#9 posted 08-10-2020 03:59 AM

I had some that looked similar to those of a different brand when I had my taxidermy business. Mine were hide scrapers and fleshers. They worked real well over a curved fleshing beam. Not saying that is what they are, but would be my guess. I now use one to peel bark off of round tree parts. Mike

-- MEL, Kansas

View NickDraxton's profile


4 posts in 47 days

#10 posted 08-10-2020 04:09 AM

Thanks everyone. I am now quite sure these are fleshing knives. Generally, very nice ones as well. Thanks for helping me sort this one out.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics