Novice question: What is this thing called?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by PetertheNeophyte posted 05-11-2020 07:14 PM 705 views 0 times favorited 13 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View PetertheNeophyte's profile


2 posts in 260 days

05-11-2020 07:14 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question

Hello, novice here. I’m planning on making a book stand. I’m particularly interested in making on that looks like this. My question is, what is that metal piece called, and where can I get one?

13 replies so far

View MrUnix's profile (online now)


8361 posts in 3175 days

#1 posted 05-11-2020 07:20 PM

Not sure what you would call it… swing out stand, swing foot, whatever it’s called, I doubt you will be able to find one off the shelf – that is more of something you will need to make yourself to the dimensions you have. Not much too it, so it should be pretty easy.


-- Brad in FL - In Dog I trust... everything else is questionable

View John Smith's profile

John Smith

2822 posts in 1138 days

#2 posted 05-11-2020 07:36 PM

you make the metal piece yourself.
go to the Box Store, get you a piece of 3/16” steel round stock.
bend it to shape with your hand tools. you could use steel round stock,
but aluminum is easier to work with – heat the bend area with a bottle torch
to lessen the chance of it cracking when stress is applied.
(I just looked at the 1/8” steel round stock I have and it would do the trick).
[it ain’t rocket science, fellas].
paint it black – and call it a day.

now, if you REALLY wanted to show off your woodworking skills, you could make
the holder out of wood.

and add your personal touch of page holders to the front rest:

and ~ if you make one out of all wood, you may as well make some jigs and cut
a bunch of the parts at one time. because, when people see yours, they will want
one too. (you don’t always have to be a novice !!!).
and welcome to the forum – looking forward to seeing your projects.


-- there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks. --

View tywalt's profile


107 posts in 1140 days

#3 posted 05-11-2020 07:40 PM

I’m with Brad, no idea what it is called and I doubt you can find one to fit your project for purchase.

Your local big box hardware store carries 1/8”, 3/16” and 1/4” rods in AL, steel and brass that would be super easy to throw in a vise and bend yourself. 6’ lengths of rod are typically less than $10. Pick up a hack saw if you don’t have a better way to cut it while you’re there. This way, you don’t have to design your project around a foot that you bought. You can design the foot to fit the project you want to make.

EDIT: John beat me to it… what he said.

-- Tyler - Central TX

View boston_guy's profile


211 posts in 3125 days

#4 posted 05-12-2020 01:36 AM

Book holder?

-- boston_guy

View bandit571's profile (online now)


27521 posts in 3659 days

#5 posted 05-12-2020 01:48 AM

Metal piece would be called a Stirrup….

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

View Walker's profile


443 posts in 1448 days

#6 posted 05-12-2020 04:28 AM

+1, make your own would probably be easiest. You could also keep an eye out at places like Target or At Home for something cheap like a picture frame or a wire book easel and just cannibalize it. Maybe you already have something in your home like a paint can handle.

-- ~Walker

View John Smith's profile

John Smith

2822 posts in 1138 days

#7 posted 05-12-2020 12:17 PM

Bandit: I googled the wire stirrup and that is something we used in the
concrete pouring industry – I never knew it was called that. we always
called a Rebar Holder or Chair/Seat lol.

when I googled Wire Stirrup – this is another item I found . . . . Toilet Paper Holder.
not too common in today’s decor – but if you really wanted chrome wire, it “might”
be available at the Home Furnishings Box Stores.
(but I still vote for making it yourself).


-- there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks. --

View Madmark2's profile


2096 posts in 1564 days

#8 posted 05-12-2020 01:07 PM

It’s called a “whatzit” and is made from a rare metal, unobtainium.

Serious everyone has given the right advice. The metal piece you show was custom formed for the manufacturer, it’s not a stock part. If it was, or would have it.

Bending a simple shape is easy if you have the right tool, in this case a wire bending jig.

Wire bending jig – about $15 @ Grizzly

P.S. The name I’ve head is a “tilt bail”

-- The hump with the stump and the pump!

View Andybb's profile


3069 posts in 1579 days

#9 posted 05-13-2020 08:50 PM

“1/4 metal rod

-- Andy - Seattle USA

View Dark_Lightning's profile


4321 posts in 4085 days

#10 posted 05-13-2020 10:39 PM

If it is to be made with aluminum, care should be taken to only heat it enough to bend. It gets real soft real fast. I’d make one from wood like John Smith posted, personally.

-- Steven.......Random Orbital Nailer

View Fresch's profile


520 posts in 2896 days

#11 posted 05-14-2020 01:48 PM

Coat hanger bent to shape?

View PetertheNeophyte's profile


2 posts in 260 days

#12 posted 05-14-2020 05:27 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I’m going to try making one out of wood.

View sepeck's profile


483 posts in 3117 days

#13 posted 05-14-2020 05:46 PM

Coat hanger bent to shape?

- Fresch

Coat hanger wouldn’t be rigid enough to survive. You can get steel rods at the big box stores in the US. That and a hack saw and a wire bender (either the jig above or something homemade) would work well. But having seen the wood version, might as well try for that.

A random search found this as well

-- -Steven Peck,

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics