LumberJocks

Dust extractor remote control connection

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by ediazf posted 05-03-2020 08:38 AM 324 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View ediazf's profile

ediazf

23 posts in 3418 days


05-03-2020 08:38 AM

Hi guys! I bought a remote control thing to turn on and off my dust extractor. It goes plugged between the machine plug and the wall outlet but, as expected, it only works to turn off the machine. Obviously i have to turn it on before going to the machine again and turn it manually on.

How can I rewire it or something to make it work?

I am trying to avoid bypassing the switch itself because I am afraid it may damage the machine or something.

Please help!

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/4302/rRcqZN.jpg


7 replies so far

View tvrgeek's profile

tvrgeek

1055 posts in 2562 days


#1 posted 05-03-2020 09:55 AM

I am guessing the DC has a magnetic switch which must be mechanically turned on. You can replace it with a induction motor rated non-magnetic switch. double pole single throw of course.

View toolie's profile

toolie

2193 posts in 3541 days


#2 posted 05-03-2020 12:03 PM

Try the Ivac system. They do both wired and wireless controls. Not the least expensive alternative out there, but a REALLY good collection of products. And first rate customer service. I daisy chain two of their Ivac switches to control both 110 & 220 volt accessories.

-- there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

View xedos's profile

xedos

127 posts in 213 days


#3 posted 05-04-2020 01:28 AM

Do as tvr advises and change the switch. not even iVac will work on a magnetic switch.

View CaptainKlutz's profile

CaptainKlutz

3827 posts in 2407 days


#4 posted 05-04-2020 12:28 PM

+1 That is magnetic switch, with low voltage drop out feature. Must be manually started.

Before suggesting changing the switch, have to ask:
What is voltage and HP of motor on dust collector?

If own single phase 1.5-2HP unit, then probably can swap out with Woodstock D4157 or Powertech 71008. Both are use a common KEDU HY56 switch rated for 2HP at 120v/250v. From pic posted, appears to use same foot print? Can find them all over; Amazon, E-Bay, etc.

If you have larger 3HP 250v unit, then remote starter wiring is much more complicated, and we can address later.

Best Luck.

-- If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all, - Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign released 1967

View clagwell's profile

clagwell

323 posts in 705 days


#5 posted 05-04-2020 12:43 PM

Those magnetic switches seem to be used a lot in Australia on dust collectors. A common solution on the Aussie forum is to simply tape or zip tie some kind of block to keep the “ON” button pushed in.

-- Dave, Tippecanoe County, IN --- Is there a corollary to Beranek.s Law that applies to dust collection?

View CaptainKlutz's profile

CaptainKlutz

3827 posts in 2407 days


#6 posted 05-04-2020 12:59 PM

Those magnetic switches seem to be used a lot in Australia on dust collectors. A common solution on the Aussie forum is to simply tape or zip tie some kind of block to keep the “ON” button pushed in.
- clagwell

LOL!

Low voltage drop out magnetic switches are are required for any motor over 1HP in most every country except USA. USA safety codes for motor switches are mess; as they combined with alternate safety mechanisms like fusible links or thermal breakers, as a substitute for magnetic switch. Once you get above 2HP; most electrical codes align with similar specs; where you need magnetic motor starter with low voltage and over current protection inside.

The OP doesn’t have a location in his profile?
If they live outside the USA, replacing a magnetic switch with regular version might make insurance/lawyers unhappy? It certainly removes any liability from mfg if something goes wrong. Not that blocking a power switch one is any less dangerous? So change out switch at your own risk!

Cheers!

-- If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all, - Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign released 1967

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

6557 posts in 3406 days


#7 posted 05-04-2020 01:29 PM

You don’t need to worry about removing pr bypassing that switch. If you plug it directly into the remote, any power loss is going to disconnect the circuit and it won’t restart. You do need to make sure the remote is rated to handle the DC motor….if not then bad things might happen.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com