Attaching metal pipe to wood - what type of fittings are these?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Theregoesplanb posted 01-25-2020 11:37 PM 305 views 0 times favorited 1 reply Add to Favorites Watch
View Theregoesplanb's profile


1 post in 30 days

01-25-2020 11:37 PM

I’m attaching a few pictures of a shoe rack that we’re currently using. I’d like to build something very similar to this, but make it a bit taller and replace the telescoping rods with straight pipe. I’d like to use the same style of fittings that the current piece uses. I’m attaching a couple pictures that illustrates what they look like. Essentially there’s a male stud that screws into the side of the shoe rack and there is a piece of rubber/nylon inside the pipe that creates a tension fit when slid over the stud.

I’ve been searching all over trying to find similar fittings. I can’t reuse the existing fittings because I need 4 more and the current pipe is 1/2” ID, which I can’t seem to find anywhere as well (just 1/2” OD). Anyone know where I can find similar fittings and finished pipe to match?

Shoe Rack:

Fitting System:

Stud Fitting:

1 reply so far

View Walker's profile


231 posts in 1109 days

#1 posted 01-26-2020 03:52 AM

If you’re replacing the pipe and fittings anyway, then why not just use something commonly available at the hardware store. Like 1/2” black steel pipe and corresponding floor flange.

-- ~Walker

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics