Large wood vise

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by bungy posted 12-27-2019 07:31 PM 694 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View bungy's profile


34 posts in 4628 days

12-27-2019 07:31 PM

Hello everyone happy holidays. I was wondering if anyone had any information about this large wood Vise what it was used for ,where was used.

5 replies so far

View FirehouseWoodworking's profile


791 posts in 4517 days

#1 posted 12-27-2019 10:33 PM

It looks like a Moxon vise of sorts.

Normally, it was held in place by securing the rear jaw to the workbench using handscrew clamps. Some were purpose built such that they could slide into a pocket in the workbench, eliminating the need for handscrews.

A Moxon vise gave one the ability to secure long pieces vertically so that, for instance, dovetails could be cut into the ends of these long boards. The design allows the entire board to be secured verses only one edge secured in a normal bench vise.

That’s my take on it. I could be wrong as I am by no means an expert!


-- Dave; Lansing, Kansas

View theoldfart's profile


12867 posts in 3695 days

#2 posted 12-27-2019 11:44 PM

It looks like part of a lying press. You can see a working one at colonial Williamsburg, Look here

They show up at flea markets regularly in New England

-- "With every tool obtained, there is another that is needed" DonW ( Kevin )

View bungy's profile


34 posts in 4628 days

#3 posted 12-28-2019 02:18 AM

Thanks for your help guys I do believe it’s a lying press thanks for the heads up

View SMP's profile


4833 posts in 1149 days

#4 posted 12-28-2019 07:51 AM

Interesting, was going to say was probably something relating to printing press. Most of that kind of things i see that old are usually either for printing newspapaper/books, or some kind of wine press. Good call on the lying press! I was close :)

View OleGrump's profile


581 posts in 1588 days

#5 posted 12-28-2019 03:29 PM

BOOKBINDING Clamp. Have seen a few of these “repurposed” as a twin screw vise for woodshop use.

-- OleGrump

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics