LumberJocks

Help! I have mold!

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by WalnutMaster posted 08-23-2019 11:31 AM 298 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View WalnutMaster's profile

WalnutMaster

2 posts in 24 days


08-23-2019 11:31 AM

I just milled up some beautiful black walnut. The lumber in my solar kiln is drying beautifully, right on target. However I did not have quite enough room to get it all in so I set up a fan and dehumidifier in my basement only to discover some mold almost immediately. It’s only been a week but I can’t seem to keep ahead of the mold. What should I do? Can I spray it with anything (vinegar?) without damaging the wood? Luckily most of my wood is fine.


7 replies so far

View bmerrill's profile

bmerrill

55 posts in 550 days


#1 posted 08-23-2019 01:12 PM

For mold fungi to grow you need oxygen, temperatures between 50 and 105 F, water (above 22% MC) and food. You need to eliminate one of these four to control mold. Bleach can be applied to kill active growth. Moving the wood to the kiln as soon as possible for treatment is the best solution. The existing location in a damp basement even with a dehumidifier is not the best drying situation. You can add another fan, use taller stickers, and introduce outside air to the basement to speed up the drying process. Once dry the surface mold will plain off as mold fungi do not grow into the wood but stay on the surface. The blue stain fungus does grow inside.

-- "Do. Or do not. There is no try". Yoda

View WalnutMaster's profile

WalnutMaster

2 posts in 24 days


#2 posted 08-23-2019 01:28 PM

Thanks! Knowledge is key!

View ibewjon's profile

ibewjon

891 posts in 3270 days


#3 posted 08-23-2019 01:36 PM

Is there a plastic sheet over the wood with the dehumidifier inside? Or are you drying the whole basement? If you make a kiln in the basement with the dehumidifier inside and draining outside of the tent or dumping container daily, the hot air out of the dehumidifier should raise the temperature enough to kill the mold.

View ibewjon's profile

ibewjon

891 posts in 3270 days


#4 posted 08-23-2019 01:36 PM

I

View controlfreak's profile

controlfreak

135 posts in 78 days


#5 posted 08-23-2019 01:36 PM

I have no idea what it would do to wood but there is a product that I used when a building I bought had mold growing after the AC units were stolen. It is not bleach which apparently only bleaches but not kills mold. It said on the label that it “crushes” the mold spores.
This is what I used.
First time posting a link, hope it works!
It behaves pretty much like water so it may raise the grain a bit.

View Monty151's profile

Monty151

77 posts in 318 days


#6 posted 08-23-2019 03:01 PM

+1 on the Concrobium

I used to do remediation and that is the stuff we used. It encapsulates the mold killing it at the root. You then will have to remove it from your substrate. It will be dead but it will still be on the wood. Bleach as controlfreak said just lightens the color, it does not kill it.

I would treat it a couple times just to be sure it’s completely dead before removing it. When removing it I would also wear a respirator rated for mold as well as a cover up or clothes that you don’t mind disposing of, just in case it’s not all dead. You do want to take any chances of allowing that stuff to get inside your living space.

Good luck and be safe

View farmfromkansas's profile

farmfromkansas

120 posts in 91 days


#7 posted 08-25-2019 06:23 PM

Most lumber is air dried outside, build a base, then stickers and lumber in layers with stickers between, cover with sheet metal, and let the wind flow between the boards. Have to keep the sun off the lumber, best done in shade. If you have no place to air dry outside, maybe you could build a heat box in your basement using styrofoam panels, put your fan and dehumidifier inside and dry away.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com