Shaker Cabinet Doors

  • Advertise with us

« back to Joinery forum

Forum topic by Blackfin29 posted 07-08-2019 12:01 PM 709 views 0 times favorited 13 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Blackfin29's profile


177 posts in 1081 days

07-08-2019 12:01 PM

Hi All,

When you folks are doing a glue up of shaker style cabinet doors (Teak) do you use a cushion (Shock Absorber of sorts) in the groove to ensure the door doesn’t rattle and allows for expansion?

If so, where do I find these little cushions?? What are they technically called? Can’t even search for them since I have no idea what they are called ;-)

THanks in advance!!!

13 replies so far

View Woodtodust's profile


77 posts in 2749 days

#1 posted 07-08-2019 12:24 PM

Space Balls

I’ve never used them but here you go.

-- Bill...Richmond Hill, GA--"83% of all statistics are made up."

View putty's profile


1298 posts in 2518 days

#2 posted 07-08-2019 12:25 PM

Rockler carries some small compressable rubber balls for that, I cant recall the name of them either.

-- Putty

View ibewjon's profile


2134 posts in 3705 days

#3 posted 07-08-2019 12:30 PM

The rubber molding that is used to hold screen in doors and windows also works, comes in various sizes, and is much cheaper, and easier because it can be cut into longer pieces. Sometimes I use spacers, sometimes I don’t.

View Robert's profile


4129 posts in 2392 days

#4 posted 07-08-2019 01:16 PM

They are called Space Balls.

Also check out Panalign strips, which I prefer.

-- Everything is a prototype thats why its one of a kind!!

View Monty151's profile


86 posts in 753 days

#5 posted 07-08-2019 09:21 PM

For a moment there I thought “Space Balls” were a joke. LOL I stand corrected.
Great movie BTW

View therealSteveN's profile


6619 posts in 1486 days

#6 posted 07-08-2019 10:32 PM

I always use space balls, unless I’m in a hurry, and can’t get them. I have used really small pinches of dried silicone caulk, both work the same. They fill the space lightly so the panel/plywood doesn’t shake and rattle. Yet offers plenty of expansion so your solid panels don’t split.

If you use 1/4” plywood for a panel, they are almost always loose, and will rattle all the time. the Space balls will stop that right now.

Someone mentioned the line for screen jobs. One of the biggest reasons you need to replace that stuff is it degrades every year, until it’s gone.

I had never heard of the Panalign strips They look like they would work.

-- Think safe, be safe

View CaptainKlutz's profile


3825 posts in 2406 days

#7 posted 07-09-2019 12:00 AM

+1 space balls
They will drive you crazy of you are klutz like me, they end up all over the shop floor.

I prefer the Panel Barrels from Lee Valley as they don’t roll as far when you drop them. :)

The CMT Panalign strips seem even better for this Klutz, have to find some to try.


-- If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all, - Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign released 1967

View SMP's profile


2852 posts in 817 days

#8 posted 07-09-2019 12:14 AM

But if the panels don’t shake then they aren’t technically “shaker “panels. They are “stiffer “panels. Just kidding, space balls are easiest to get most places. But if painting i may also white silicone the back corners.

View poopiekat's profile


4827 posts in 4646 days

#9 posted 07-09-2019 03:00 AM

Teak as a medium for Shaker furniture? Aw, cmon now.

-- Einstein: "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." I'm Poopiekat!!

View Woodmaster1's profile


1556 posts in 3499 days

#10 posted 07-09-2019 04:35 AM

Panalign strips are available from sommerfeld tools for wood. That is where I get them.

View therealSteveN's profile


6619 posts in 1486 days

#11 posted 07-09-2019 11:58 AM

But if the panels don’t shake then they aren’t technically “shaker “panels.


The United Society of Believers in Christ’s Second Appearing (Shakers,) did celebrate with dance. The dance wasn’t vibratory though, more like twirling about. So I guess the doors would need a girdle, to keep the parts from flying off….At least a strong rubber band, instead of tiny rubber balls.

Actually the Shakers would have readily accepted Space balls had they been available back then, they were extremely progressive in that they used whatever made the work easier, better quality, and quicker.

Tabitha Babbitt a Shaker is widely credited for the first use of a circular saw in North America in 1810. She also made the first false teeth and spinning wheel heads… Strike one for Shakers, and Women….

-- Think safe, be safe

View ibewjon's profile


2134 posts in 3705 days

#12 posted 07-09-2019 03:02 PM

The screen tubing only degrades in sunlight. I would expect your joints would be tight enough to keep out the sunlight.

View Michael Baucom's profile

Michael Baucom

3 posts in 502 days

#13 posted 07-10-2019 03:17 PM

I have cut doors apart that I bought from a supplier and they were using the 1/4”x 1/4” weatherstripping you can get from Lowes or HD, cut into 1” sections.

-- Custom cabinet builder/ Trim Carpenter

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics