Help Identifying This Tool

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by al_woodwork posted 06-17-2019 02:32 PM 325 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View al_woodwork's profile


2 posts in 35 days

06-17-2019 02:32 PM

Topic tags/keywords: tool blade drawknife froe

Hello all,
I recently bought this tool at a flea market, but haven’t been able to identify what it is. The handle is about 90 degrees to the blade, which is ax like. I thought perhaps its a type of heavy duty draw knife or a froe, but have been unable to find any other pictures of tools that are similar. Any input would be much appreciated.
Best Regards,
Al[email protected]/o18Lwr

3 replies so far

View JayT's profile


6227 posts in 2633 days

#1 posted 06-17-2019 02:56 PM

Google up “cooper’s drawknife” and you will see a bunch of similar tools.

-- - In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

View al_woodwork's profile


2 posts in 35 days

#2 posted 06-17-2019 03:03 PM

Excellent! Thank you!

View Don W's profile

Don W

19251 posts in 2989 days

#3 posted 06-18-2019 09:32 AM

It’s a coopers champering knife. It’s for cutting barrel staves

-- - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics