LumberJocks

General Bandsaw Starter Switch

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by misbeshavings posted 05-24-2019 12:19 AM 256 views 0 times favorited 11 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View misbeshavings's profile

misbeshavings

23 posts in 3033 days


05-24-2019 12:19 AM

Topic tags/keywords: bandsaw starter switch canadian general 490

So I got a good deal on an ‘80s General 490 Bandsaw (15”). Only issue is a bad starter switch, which is a C10T1, which as I understand electrons, provides a thermal overload protection.

I thought most motors had their own thermal protection built in, and I’m having trouble locating the exact switch. The saw runs fine bypassing the switch. Very happy with the saw.

My options are: Use the plug as a switch (not excited about that one), Just use a regular switch, or throw down the $50 or so for an exact replacement. My feeling is I could replace the motor with a larger one with built in protection, and add a magnetic switch for not that much more money.

Any opinions?

thanks!


11 replies so far

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

6085 posts in 1102 days


#1 posted 05-24-2019 12:33 AM

THIS WORK ? :<))))

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

1920 posts in 993 days


#2 posted 05-24-2019 01:23 AM

Magnetic would be my choice. Won’t start if breaker is tripped.

-- Andy - Seattle USA

View misbeshavings's profile

misbeshavings

23 posts in 3033 days


#3 posted 05-24-2019 01:29 AM

Gr8HUNTER, I tried a similar one (New/old stock) from eBay for $20 – it flat didn’t work. returning it.

Andybb – thanks. That is the exact switch I bought for my router table – and it is a good one. Issue there is that it doesn’t provide any thermal overload protection ( which I’m not even sure I need!).

Appreciate the inputs!

View ibewjon's profile

ibewjon

566 posts in 3182 days


#4 posted 05-24-2019 01:31 AM

The switch shown above is for a fractional HP motor, ( less than 1 HP). You at least need a motor rated switch, not a light switch, and NEVER rely on unplugging a cord for a switch. A magnetic switch is best because once it drops out, it will not restart after power is restored.. I use magnetic starters with overload protection for all my motors, and red, mushroom head pushbuttons for easy shut down. Not cheap, but neither are hands and fingers.

View misbeshavings's profile

misbeshavings

23 posts in 3033 days


#5 posted 05-24-2019 01:38 AM



The switch shown above is for a fractional HP motor, ( less than 1 HP). You at least need a motor rated switch, not a light switch, and NEVER rely on unplugging a cord for a switch. A magnetic switch is best because once it drops out, it will not restart after power is restored.. I use magnetic starters with overload protection for all my motors, and red, mushroom head pushbuttons for easy shut down. Not cheap, but neither are hands and fingers.

- ibewjon

totally agree with you. I’m just thinking that it might be cheaper to upgrade the motor (to one with thermal overload protection built in) and add a magnetic switch like andybb suggested. Safer all around.

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

1920 posts in 993 days


#6 posted 05-24-2019 01:45 AM

Wouldn’t any bandsaw motor from a lot earlier than the 80’s have thermal protection built in?

-- Andy - Seattle USA

View CaptainKlutz's profile

CaptainKlutz

1360 posts in 1883 days


#7 posted 05-24-2019 01:59 AM

1) does the motor have overload built into it?
Many < 1.5HP motors have small red reset button on case or end cap.

2) What is motor HP?
Any motor less than 1/2 HP doesn’t even need overload. Reason being that a 15A residential circuit will handle the FLA current, and motor simply burns itself up if it shorts.

3) Why not use a motor rated switch found on power tools today?
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Shop-Fox-Single-Phase-On-Off-Switch-120-230V/D4157
Sold lots of places. Powertech and others make and sells them for $10-12 on fleabay and Am-a-dud.
It’s not magnetic, but it will fit inside any standard deep electrical box and become the standard power switch for fractional motors on power tools for years due lower cost than old manual motor starters.
It is what most new saws use as power switch.

YMMV

-- I'm an engineer not a woodworker, but I can randomly find useful tools and furniture inside a pile of lumber!

View CarlosInTheSticks's profile

CarlosInTheSticks

286 posts in 761 days


#8 posted 05-24-2019 02:46 AM

+ 1 CK, I keep a couple of magnetics around for my largest motors, but when Grizzley’s partner in crime up in Canada, Busy Bee Tools, came out with that switch with the added big stop paddle for 17.99, I got 6 right away, got 4 left. Their good up to 3 HP and 20A 230V. and even take 3 phase up to 10 HP.

View therealSteveN's profile

therealSteveN

2826 posts in 963 days


#9 posted 05-24-2019 05:09 AM

Carlos, those switches are the bomb. Everyone goes nutz on magnetic. If I’m in the shop and something, or all of it stops. It all gets unplugged anyhow. I don’t remember when I got my pile, but I have 5 hanging around, and I bought 6 of them, but I swear it wasn’t from Canada, unless it was through Lee Valley? IICR it was 8 maybe 9 years ago. At the time I thought these are a steal, let me get a few extras.

-- Think safe, be safe

View misbeshavings's profile

misbeshavings

23 posts in 3033 days


#10 posted 05-24-2019 12:47 PM

CK, good points. I need to take a hard look at the motor. I just assumed if they spent the money on a thermal overload switch, that meant that the motors they bought to put in it probably did not have any. I think it is 1/2 hp, so I think I might just get a mag switch for it and call it done. I was hoping there were some General owners out there that might have had the same issue. Appreciate all the comments.

View misbeshavings's profile

misbeshavings

23 posts in 3033 days


#11 posted 06-05-2019 10:03 PM

Well, What I did was what many suggested – and after reading @CaptainKlutz’s post I just installed a mag switch (Powertech). Runs like a champ now.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com