LumberJocks

SuperMax 19-38 stand fix

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by hairy posted 04-20-2019 05:11 PM 231 views 1 time favorited 6 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View hairy's profile

hairy

2820 posts in 3890 days


04-20-2019 05:11 PM

When I bought the sander I also bought the factory stand. After not much use, 1 of the corners buckled, making the tool low in that corner. The temporary fix was to roll that wheel up onto a 3/4” thick scrap of hardwood. That temporary fix lasted a few years more than intended.

It could have been caused by the uneven basement floor, maybe I once put too much downward pressure on it when moving. I did not buy the factory casters, I had a set of Rockler’s on hand.


I finally got a roundtoit. I’ve needed one for a long time. I removed the tool from the base,straightened the frame and installed a 20” x 36 and 3/8” x 3/4” thick sheet of plywood. It is only held on by the caster bolts.

Before

After

It probably would have worked if I had bolted it to the bottom of the base. I did it the hard way. I loosened all the bolts, removed the half of the bolts holding the shelf, and installed it on the inside of the frame.

It’s nice to have a place for the sled I made for it.

-- My reality check bounced...


6 replies so far

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

5498 posts in 2851 days


#1 posted 04-20-2019 05:59 PM

Thanks for that, I may add that to mine.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

View WoodenDreams's profile

WoodenDreams

577 posts in 269 days


#2 posted 04-20-2019 08:37 PM

Looks like a sturdy fix with the plywood added to the base. also give you a storage shelf.

View splintergroup's profile

splintergroup

2634 posts in 1580 days


#3 posted 04-21-2019 02:13 PM

That is how I added casters to my 16/32 base. The added height is great and I love how you took the extra time to fit the plywood above the base instead of the lazy bell-the-base approach I took 8^)

View a1Jim's profile

a1Jim

117615 posts in 3935 days


#4 posted 04-21-2019 02:46 PM

Had the same problem, thats a good fix, thanks for the tip Hairy
.

View Davevand's profile

Davevand

107 posts in 1194 days


#5 posted 04-21-2019 03:53 PM

I went one step farther, I replaced all my open stands for plywood boxes with drawers and casters. Opened up a lot of storage space so I can keep all the paraphernalia with each machine

View therealSteveN's profile

therealSteveN

2565 posts in 932 days


#6 posted 04-21-2019 04:12 PM

Huh, when I got mine the stand was included, with the casters. I believe they may have reworked that portion of the unit, mine appears strong like Ox.

Your fix is good though, it’s extra storage and if you’ve made a sled for the sander it is a primo spot to store it.

Nice fix.

-- Think safe, be safe

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com