Primer for plywood edges

  • Advertise with us

« back to Finishing forum

Forum topic by MikeDe posted 03-18-2019 01:01 AM 354 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View MikeDe's profile


49 posts in 3017 days

03-18-2019 01:01 AM

I am building a kitchen cabinet for my daughter

out of birch plywood that I will be painting

And I was wondering if there is any kind of primer

that will do a good job covering up the edges of the

plywood before I put the final paint on it

8 replies so far

View CWWoodworking's profile


353 posts in 505 days

#1 posted 03-18-2019 01:08 AM

Edge banding would be way better. I’ve had mild success with smearing edge with wood putty and sanding. It’s just as easy and a better product with edge banding.

View John Smith's profile

John Smith

1741 posts in 488 days

#2 posted 03-18-2019 01:23 AM

if there is a routed edge, sign painters use latex caulk.
just push it into the grain, let it sit overnight, prime and paint.



-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --

View Fred Hargis's profile (online now)

Fred Hargis

5453 posts in 2819 days

#3 posted 03-18-2019 04:57 PM

Test the methods before you leap, I’d bet that anything you try will not be satisfactory. The edge banding is a sure bet.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

View Robert's profile


3343 posts in 1806 days

#4 posted 03-18-2019 06:27 PM

+1 on the edge banding.

If you don’t want to do that, you can use drywall or spackling compound on the edges, then sand smooth and paint.

-- Everything is a prototype thats why its one of a kind!!

View SMP's profile


591 posts in 231 days

#5 posted 03-18-2019 06:31 PM

I’ve had best luck with edge banding or MD Ready Patch. Most others I have tried tend to crack and/or chunks fall out over time.

View jonah's profile


2062 posts in 3624 days

#6 posted 03-18-2019 08:22 PM

Iron-on edge banding is probably the easiest way to do it. Either than or just put a face frame on it.

View Redoak49's profile


3877 posts in 2314 days

#7 posted 03-18-2019 08:24 PM

Edge banding is what I use. I normally will use 1/4” thick pieces and “clamp ” them for gluing using masking tape.

View Planeman40's profile


1380 posts in 3087 days

#8 posted 03-19-2019 03:56 PM

I agree with the edge banding. However, if you must, I suggest you first apply drywall spackling compound on the edges to fill any voids and the end grain and then sand. Next apply BIN shellac-base primer, 2 or three coats. This primer is wonderful stuff. Then sand.

-- Always remember: It is a mathematical certainty that half the people in this country are below average in intelligence!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics