Any Bowl turning chucks out there for a craftsmen lathe?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodturning forum

Forum topic by OneToughSonOfABirch posted 10-08-2018 02:56 PM 811 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View OneToughSonOfABirch's profile


2 posts in 882 days

10-08-2018 02:56 PM

Topic tags/keywords: lathe turning question craftsmen bowl turning spindals help parts questions tools resource tip

Hello all. I recently bought a craftsmen 12in lathe that uses #1 morse taper spur chuck with center pin. I was wondering if anyone makes a bowl turning chuck that will work with my lathe. I havent been able to find much info and dont want to pay out 60$ on a chuck that wont work. My lathe is a craftsmen 12in lathe model number 113-23800. From 1975. Just cant find out what parts are usable. It’s my first lathe and I’m really looking forward to turning spindals and hopefully bowls too.

Thanks. -T

5 replies so far

View Lazyman's profile (online now)


6401 posts in 2363 days

#1 posted 10-08-2018 03:11 PM

I am not familiar with that lathe but the spec that is needed is that the size and TPI of the spindle threads used to mount a faceplate. Two common sizes are 1” 8 TPI or 1-1/4” 8TPI for example.

EDIT: Quick google search for “113-23800 spindle TPI” yielded that it is probably a 3/4” 16 TPI. If that is the case, a Nova Chuck that requires an adapter might work. It looks like the I9NS insert appears to be the right size but you will need to double check compatiblilty with Teknatool. They are usually pretty good about answering email.

-- Nathan, TX -- Hire the lazy man. He may not do as much work but that's because he will find a better way.

View Nubsnstubs's profile (online now)


1759 posts in 2706 days

#2 posted 10-08-2018 04:34 PM

What chuck are getting for $60?? ................ Jerry (in Tucson)

-- Jerry (in Tucson)

View LesB's profile


2798 posts in 4419 days

#3 posted 10-08-2018 05:00 PM

Most chuck makers have adapters to fit your lathe. It is a threaded insert for the chuck so if you ever move to a different lathe all you have to do is buy the the appropriate adapter.

I would not recommend buying an inexpensive chuck but you can find descent ones in the $100 range (Nova G3). You will also eventually need additional size jaws.

-- Les B, Oregon

View MrUnix's profile


8361 posts in 3175 days

#4 posted 10-08-2018 06:21 PM

I wouldn’t throw much money at that tube lathe as it is rather limited in what it can do. It’s fine for spindle work, but bowls will be a bit of a challenge IMO. Before spending much, I’d invest in a 3/4”-16tpi thread tap (if you don’t already have one) and make threaded glueblocks first. That will let you turn bowls and all sorts of other stuff without having to use a chuck, and the cost is less than $10 for an unlimited amount of them. (See here)


PS: If you absolutely have to have a chuck – the Barracuda2 is about the best bang for the buck out there IMO. It comes with 4 sets of jaws, woodworm screw, plastic case and includes a 3/4”-16tpi insert that will fit your lathe without the need to buy anything else.

-- Brad in FL - In Dog I trust... everything else is questionable

View OneToughSonOfABirch's profile


2 posts in 882 days

#5 posted 10-24-2018 01:59 PM

Thanks for the info guys!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics