LumberJocks

+is it posssible

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodturning forum

Forum topic by davyj posted 08-06-2018 12:05 PM 1380 views 0 times favorited 43 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View davyj's profile

davyj

38 posts in 3271 days


08-06-2018 12:05 PM

has any one, and would it be possible to turn some big, dry poison Ivy vine ? Why? jus cause ! and because in a particular collection of carved realistic Hammers, the man had a hammer handle inone made of such, AND one of Sumac. caused me to wonder if I might make a pen from some or a letter opener handle say. BUT what about the dust? what if a piece was Microwaved first? so is there any one on here who has done this radical kinda thing?

-- retired GM/Delphi , Retired USN/USAFR


43 replies so far

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

4046 posts in 2409 days


#1 posted 08-06-2018 12:21 PM

I have had poison ivy and not fun. The thought of breathing the dust scares the xXxX out of me. IMHO this is a very bad idea and I hope you are just posting this as a joke.

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

2673 posts in 2555 days


#2 posted 08-06-2018 12:23 PM

A man in Woodturning Design wrote an article on turning pens from dry poison ivy vines several years ago. So yes can be done, his pens pretty spectaluar. Cannot post a link most of their articles no longer one line.

-- Bill

View John Smith's profile (online now)

John Smith

1884 posts in 583 days


#3 posted 08-06-2018 12:26 PM

Wildwood: ”yes it can be done, his pens are pretty spectacular.
Cannot post a link. most of their articles are no longer one line”

why aren’t they available? did he DIE?

ensure your medical coverage is paid up prior to messing with that stuff.
I’m with Red: once you have had a case of Ivy or Oak poison, you want
NOTHING to do with it ever again – dead or alive.
that is like the Olender Bush – - – the flowers, the sap, the leaves, the smoke from burning it
will still send some people to the hospital.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --

View Bill White's profile

Bill White

5210 posts in 4381 days


#4 posted 08-06-2018 12:51 PM

Do you have good hospital insurance?
Nuff said.

-- [email protected]

View tmasondarnell's profile

tmasondarnell

113 posts in 2210 days


#5 posted 08-06-2018 01:04 PM

Aside from all of the traditional worries about touching the wood with residual oils, I would be very concerned about inhaling any of the dust or other fine particles. You can get a reaction in your lungs and mucus membranes from the smoke and the oils.

Not sure it is worth the risk

View johnstoneb's profile

johnstoneb

3115 posts in 2593 days


#6 posted 08-06-2018 01:19 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicodendron_radicans

Read and you decide. I am one of the 15% to 25% who are immune to it.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

5654 posts in 4083 days


#7 posted 08-06-2018 02:45 PM

Wildwood: ”yes it can be done, his pens are pretty spectacular.
Cannot post a link. most of their articles are no longer one line”

why aren t they available? did he DIE?

The magazine went out of business.

-- Gerry -- "I don't plan to ever really grow up ... I'm just going to learn how to act in public!"

View Lazyman's profile

Lazyman

3554 posts in 1808 days


#8 posted 08-06-2018 03:19 PM

Just don’t. If you get the dust in your lungs, you could die. Get it in your eyes and you could seriously damage them perhaps even permanently. I must be immune but I wouldn’t think of trying it.

-- Nathan, TX -- Hire the lazy man. He may not do as much work but that's because he will find a better way.

View Wildwood's profile

Wildwood

2673 posts in 2555 days


#9 posted 08-06-2018 04:03 PM

Got a bug in my bonnet so went through my stack of Woodturning Design and found the article by John A. Styer himself allergic to poison ivy. Hope to find him still on line which he is but could not find the artice Pens with Bite, Penns made from Poison Ivy! Did find this posting so for all you naysayers here you go!

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/29382

Think minimum PPE gear like dust mask, gloves, which lot of people wear while turning and add your dust collector if have one should work!

I do have copy of the article like link states Fall 2007 Issue #15 by John A. Styer if knew how to post it with pictures would! When magazine folded articles went off line DUH!

-- Bill

View pontic's profile

pontic

694 posts in 1029 days


#10 posted 08-06-2018 04:32 PM

Don’t do it. Use wild grape vines instead. They are just as pretty.

-- Illigitimii non carburundum sum

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

5571 posts in 3664 days


#11 posted 08-06-2018 05:55 PM

DEFINITELY DO NOT USE IT.

View bondogaposis's profile

bondogaposis

5454 posts in 2771 days


#12 posted 08-06-2018 06:36 PM

Of course it is possible, but why would any sane person risk the consequences?

-- Bondo Gaposis

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

12843 posts in 2800 days


#13 posted 08-06-2018 06:47 PM

I would want a lot of protective gear, including a full face respirator, gloves, maybe tyvek coveralls, a fan blowing away me, and to do it outdoors. I don’t want to suck that stuff into my DC because I’ll have to empty it later and I don’t want the dust in my shop. I wouldn’t do it but every person has the right to pursue happiness.

As a kid I was immune, used to wade through poison ivy and oak while picking berries but after moving to NC, I became allergic again. Or maybe it’s that I’m allergic to the NC varieties.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View mahdee's profile

mahdee

4291 posts in 2188 days


#14 posted 08-06-2018 07:20 PM

Like the other site says, if you are making it for your ex wife from hell, it might be worth the efforts.

-- earthartandfoods.com

View Underdog's profile

Underdog

1353 posts in 2456 days


#15 posted 08-06-2018 07:30 PM

I knew a guy on another forum that turned some Sumac. He spent two months in the hospital…
I turned it with no ill effects before I heard about his plight.
After I heard about it, I never turned any again.

I hoped I that had inherited immunity from Poison Ivy from my grandfather who could spend all day pulling it up and be just green with it.
Unfortunately I found out the hard way that I’m not. Spent about 10 weeks battling it.

-- Jim, Georgia, USA

showing 1 through 15 of 43 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com