hardware for a lamp

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by leftcoaster posted 07-13-2018 02:49 PM 467 views 0 times favorited 6 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View leftcoaster's profile


284 posts in 1485 days

07-13-2018 02:49 PM

I’ve made a Japanese-style lantern (“andon”) and need to find the electrical components to put inside.

I don’t know what the specific component is called however which is making it hard to find!

at the bottom of the andon is a wooden cross member. I want to mount a fixture that goes up from there to support a bulb at the center of the lamp. The electrical cord, with inline switch, would come out the bottom.

If anyone has built such a thing… The kumiko panels on the body are paper so I’d prefer something that doesn’t get hot. Is there an LED option?

6 replies so far

View John Smith's profile

John Smith

2135 posts in 771 days

#1 posted 07-13-2018 03:00 PM

where have you looked so far ?
the big box stores carry just about anything you need for lamp repairs
and new builds. and yes, they will accomodate LED bulbs.
even the little lights that flicker like a candle or antique bulb. “Thomas Edison Bulb”.
a photo of the inside of your lamp would be of help.



-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --

View leftcoaster's profile


284 posts in 1485 days

#2 posted 07-13-2018 03:13 PM

I’ve looked on line. Amazon, grand brass lamp parts.

I am sure I can find it. I just need to know what the name is so I can search for it!

View Wildwood's profile


2794 posts in 2743 days

#3 posted 07-13-2018 03:44 PM

View lew's profile


12938 posts in 4364 days

#4 posted 07-13-2018 03:44 PM

I think you’ll probably find everything you need here-

As for the heat problem, I’d use an LED lamp instead of incandescent. There are lots of replacement LED lamps available in most styles.

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View JADobson's profile


1448 posts in 2719 days

#5 posted 07-13-2018 03:47 PM

try looking for a threaded lamp socket. that is what I have used with good results. Forgive the rough shaping of the bracket that holds it in place.

-- No craft is very far from the line beyond which is magic. -- Lord Dunsany — Instagram @grailwoodworks

View Ripper70's profile


1371 posts in 1517 days

#6 posted 07-13-2018 03:57 PM

I think what you’re looking for is called a candelabra light socket.

-- "You know, I'm such a great driver, it's incomprehensible that they took my license away." --Vince Ricardo

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics