Bronze butterfly’s/ dutchmans

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by Flyeater posted 07-11-2018 08:22 PM 481 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Flyeater's profile


1 post in 466 days

07-11-2018 08:22 PM

Topic tags/keywords: butterfly dutchman inlay bronze

I have a project where the customer is requesting a removable bronze inlay that hides the table seam or removable bronze butterfly’s that are spaced down the seam. It’s a large table top that will need to be taken apart if needed.
I have done inlays and butterfly’s a plenty but never with bronze. Does anyone have any info on how I could go about this. If it’s easy enough for me do do or find someone to purchase the cast butterfly’s from. Thanks in advance!

3 replies so far

View John Smith's profile

John Smith

2015 posts in 674 days

#1 posted 07-11-2018 08:53 PM

big difference in BRONZE and YELLOW BRASS.

bronze will not polish and will be a dull color
brass is more yellow and polishes up quite well.
how thick and overall size will the inserts be??
the options are: purchase a sheet of flat stock the size you need
and cut it yourself with the appropriate tools, lots of filing and sanding involved.
or – send your patterns to a company that has a water jet.
very clean cuts and ready to install when you get them.
sand casting is definitely an option if they are of substantial thickness and size.
how deep are your customers pockets?
what’s wrong with doing the inserts in a contrasting wood?

I find 2” brass bowties on the innerweb for about $30 each.



-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --

View GoingUp's profile


43 posts in 759 days

#2 posted 07-11-2018 09:20 PM

Check this thread first for info on metal butterflies. Lots of good info there and some sites selling them pre-made.

As far as removable, that’s tricky. Removable means lost, bent, damaged, etc. Getting it back in could be hard.

View John Smith's profile

John Smith

2015 posts in 674 days

#3 posted 07-11-2018 09:25 PM

“removable” inserts would have a 1/8” hole under the insert through the wood
so that it could be pushed out with a metal rod – such as nail and hammer.
and you mark the back of each insert to correspond with the hole it came out of
to ensure a matched hole/insert when it is put back.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics