Can anyone help with this mystery sandpaper?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Finishing forum

Forum topic by EarlS posted 05-17-2018 02:30 PM 637 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View EarlS's profile


3772 posts in 3148 days

05-17-2018 02:30 PM

Topic tags/keywords: sandpaper

My folks are visiting and my dad showed me a piece of sandpaper that he bought at a Woodcraft store in Colorado. When he went back to buy more they didn’t have any and they weren’t able to figure out what brand it was. We are trying to find out the brand and where to get them.

It is 500 grit, 3×9. The black side is the abrasive and the red side is the back. It looks like the abrasive is sprayed onto a fabric substrate. The fabric substrate has a foam layer under it, then the back side (red) is another fabric that probably can be used as a buffing pad. Since the abrasive has a fabric substrate it is much more flexible and durable.

I looked on the Woodcraft site and they have Norton Soft Touch super fine sanding sponges but nothing that looks like this.

-- Earl "I'm a pessamist - generally that increases the chance that things will turn out better than expected"

3 replies so far

View RobHannon's profile


337 posts in 1330 days

#1 posted 05-17-2018 03:10 PM

Looks sorta like a cut piece of a floor buffer/sander pad but they are much larger.

Sorta like these:

View joey502's profile


558 posts in 2317 days

#2 posted 05-17-2018 03:11 PM

I buy higher grit sanding pads from klinspor and industrial abrasives similar to those. They are not cloth backed like yours.

View joey502's profile


558 posts in 2317 days

#3 posted 05-17-2018 03:14 PM

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics