Delta Rockwell Drill Press Question - What is it?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by PittsburghTim posted 03-09-2018 11:13 PM 684 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View PittsburghTim's profile


232 posts in 3100 days

03-09-2018 11:13 PM

Topic tags/keywords: drill table press

I picked up a vintage (40s or 50s) Delta DP220 Drill press that has two tables. The top one is a regular table and the bottom one has a plywood top (looks factory-made) with what appears to be a pipe flange-like cast iron piece mounted to it, directly over what would be the center hole of the table. It’s a cast piece painted the original Delta grey, but I cannot figure what it was for. Was it a support for some accessory? I would love to know what it is, but have not come up with anything after hours of scouring the internet.




-- She asked me, "Who are you going to please with that?" I said, "Me."

7 replies so far

View PittsburghTim's profile


232 posts in 3100 days

#1 posted 03-09-2018 11:25 PM

Here is a picture of it.

-- She asked me, "Who are you going to please with that?" I said, "Me."

View Steve's profile


2082 posts in 1360 days

#2 posted 03-09-2018 11:34 PM

Have you checked over at owwm?

Wonder if it was to turn it into some sort of spindle sander?

View MrUnix's profile


8097 posts in 2976 days

#3 posted 03-09-2018 11:35 PM

It’s just some homemade gizmo from a previous owner – there is no telling what it’s for and only they would be able to tell you what they made it for. BTW: If you have the serial number of the press, you can figure out when it was made and then look at the catalog for that year to see all the options available.


-- Brad in FL - In Dog I trust... everything else is questionable

View Richard Lee's profile

Richard Lee

298 posts in 1553 days

#4 posted 03-10-2018 01:01 AM

User added,as others have said.

View BoardButcherer's profile


144 posts in 872 days

#5 posted 03-10-2018 02:34 PM

Looks like a guide bushing. Only use I can fathom is that this drill was set up for the specific purpose of putting a hole in a very awkward piece of material that required a long drill bit to reach, and that that bushing was used to keep the bit from flexing in the middle.

I’ve seen people try similar stuff for drilling small holes in the end of large round stock. It never worked well.

View MrRon's profile


5913 posts in 4021 days

#6 posted 03-10-2018 07:07 PM

Delta DP’s with the round base were produced between 1932 and 1937. I have the same DP (floor model). It is a great DP. I’ve owned it for the past 35 years and it is still going strong. The bearings on the original motor quit, so I replaced it with a motor I had lying around. It is probably the most used tool in my shop. In 1934, that DP cost $32.85. By your description of “two” tables, the previous owner may have put an additional table on it. Normally, they only have one table.

View MrRon's profile


5913 posts in 4021 days

#7 posted 03-11-2018 08:03 PM

I can see the top piece is bolted to the table. Looks like it may have been a “lathe” setup.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics