What is this tool

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by lepelerin posted 02-21-2018 09:51 PM 3527 views 0 times favorited 12 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View lepelerin's profile


498 posts in 3103 days

02-21-2018 09:51 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question mystery tool


I am confident somebody on this forum will bring me the answer. What is this tool. I found it in the basement wall while I was doing some renovation

Thank you in advance, A

12 replies so far

View John Smith's profile

John Smith

2446 posts in 941 days

#1 posted 02-21-2018 10:04 PM

I would go with a Line-up Pry Bar or Pry Bar Crevice Tool.
common construction tool – not very expensive.


-- there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks. --

View Mike_in_STL's profile


1228 posts in 1312 days

#2 posted 02-21-2018 10:06 PM

Going to be on the more expensive side as it’s Grainger, but here is similar.

-- Sawdust makes me whole --Mike in STL

View koppil's profile


2 posts in 872 days

#3 posted 02-21-2018 10:25 PM

It is a pry bar. Nice one. You can use it to pry apart pallets.

View 000's profile


2859 posts in 1677 days

#4 posted 02-21-2018 10:34 PM

Hard to tell next to that pry bar but,
it looks like an aluminum rule :)

View Ted78's profile


408 posts in 2778 days

#5 posted 02-21-2018 10:48 PM

Be easier to tell if you zoomed out a bit, but I think it’s a table, used for setting things like pry bars and rulers on top of. :) Sorry I’m feeling snarky today.

It’s a ‘rolling head pry par’ the tapered end is used like a drift pin to line up holes of things to be bolted together and such and the other end for prying things apart of course, and persuading things into position.

-- Ted

View dhazelton's profile


2839 posts in 3075 days

#6 posted 02-21-2018 10:51 PM

Really an automotive tool than a construction one. I bought a couple different sizes at NAPA.

View lepelerin's profile


498 posts in 3103 days

#7 posted 02-22-2018 12:00 AM

Thank you all for you replies. Greatly appreciated.

View GT350's profile


379 posts in 2759 days

#8 posted 02-22-2018 01:38 PM

Looks to me with the tapered end the original design is for aligning something. You would pry the two steel pieces like beams so they are close then drop the tapered end in the hole to align them before dropping a bolt in.

View Nubsnstubs's profile


1723 posts in 2508 days

#9 posted 02-22-2018 01:43 PM

Maybe fridge can chime in. I’m sure most of us already know what his description would be. ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

-- Jerry (in Tucson)

View chrisstef's profile


18096 posts in 3784 days

#10 posted 02-22-2018 02:31 PM

Ted & GT350 got it. The tapered end is referred to as the spud end. At least thats what the iron workers i know call it. Youll see that on the end of an adjustable spud wrench as well.

-- Its not a crack, its a casting imperfection.

View builtinbkyn's profile


3009 posts in 1718 days

#11 posted 02-22-2018 02:39 PM

Iron workers use bull pins to align the holes in steel sections that will be bolted together. This looks like it would have similar use, but not sure this one is specific to iron work. Bull pins have a peened head to strike with a hammer.

-- Bill, Yo! Brooklyn & Steel City :)

View lepelerin's profile


498 posts in 3103 days

#12 posted 02-22-2018 06:06 PM

very informative, tx

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics