Japanese door chime or something? Design thoughts

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by unclearthur posted 01-31-2018 06:32 AM 495 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View unclearthur's profile


262 posts in 2243 days

01-31-2018 06:32 AM

Hi all. I ran across these in a shop in Japan last year; all I have is the picture now.

I think its meant to be placed on a door so that it plays when you open the door?

Anyways I am interested in making one, and wondering if anyone had any design advice eg: materials, dimensions for the cavity, wire type, tension, etc ........ I don’t want to get carried away, not trying to make a musical instrument, but at same time if it sounds lousy it’ll be a waste of time. And I imagine the balls need to be pretty heavy / dense – how to find those?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2 replies so far

View Woodknack's profile


12877 posts in 2835 days

#1 posted 01-31-2018 07:44 AM

They are called door harps

View on YouTube

-- Rick M,

View unclearthur's profile


262 posts in 2243 days

#2 posted 02-01-2018 12:07 AM

Thanks Rick. I didn’t know what it was called, now I can see quite a few of them by googling.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics