Looking for

  • Advertise with us

« back to Woodworking Skill Share forum

Forum topic by JTTHECLOCKMAN posted 01-27-2018 08:44 PM 394 views 0 times favorited 1 reply Add to Favorites Watch
View JTTHECLOCKMAN's profile


258 posts in 4000 days

01-27-2018 08:44 PM

I have a small project I am working on. The top has a couple of rounded outside edges and a rounded inside edge. I want to duplicate the same shapes but 1” from the outside edge. I want to cut the center out but the remaining piece needs to be equal all around. I want to place plexiglass in the center. I can figure the obvious section of straight cuts but the curves are not coming out even and it will show. I can easily cut the inside out with a scrollsaw. That is not the problem. What I am looking for either a factory made contour guide or a handmade one. I hope I am explaining what I want to do plain enough.

I thought I saw one time a jig that can do this and it had 2 points so that as you trace around the curves those 2 points need to touch the wood at all times but a center point that holds the pencil will travel in the same plane at all times. Not sure what that tool is called but again looking for help and maybe a link to a tool or a photo of one made. The project is 6” X8” so it is not a large top for a box. Thanks in advance.

-- John T.

1 reply so far

View wuddoc's profile


359 posts in 4569 days

#1 posted 01-27-2018 11:16 PM

You may find the information you need on you tube under drawing an elliptical curve or arch.
Good luck.

-- Wuddoc

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics