Coloring Lacquer!

  • Advertise with us

« back to Finishing forum

Forum topic by richardchaos posted 12-11-2017 05:23 PM 727 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View richardchaos's profile


583 posts in 1592 days

12-11-2017 05:23 PM

I was thinking of spraying a piece of white pine with a colored lacquer to get a candy apple red look.

I did a search online and come across a lot of CANNE SPRAY PAINT COLORED LACQUER, but I am pretty sure they are SOLID OPAQUE not translucent…

Does anyone know of any CANNED SPRAY LACQUER that can give me war I want OR does any have any advise on coloring lacquer I can use to get this effect?

This is for WOOD by the way

-- β€œIn a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” ― George Orwell

5 replies so far

View Planeman40's profile


1558 posts in 3974 days

#1 posted 12-11-2017 05:43 PM

You might try this. Transtint makes a wood dye in both water base and alcohol base. Water base wouldn’t work, but I have a hunch the alcohol base would dissolve O.K. in lacquer. Try a test of this though before committing to it. You can get Transtint at many of the woodworking stores. It ain’t cheap, but a little goes a long way.

Also, you might try cloth dye available at most sewing places and even the grocery store. It is in powder form and is intended for use with water. However it might dissolve in lacquer. BUT make sure ALL of it is dissolved as the undissolved particles will spray out a very dark flecks in the finish. You might try straining the dissolved solution through a very fine mesh like a wad of women’t panty hose. Strain it TWICE to be sure.

-- Always remember: It is a mathematical certainty that half the people in this country are below average in intelligence!

View builtinbkyn's profile


3031 posts in 2153 days

#2 posted 12-11-2017 06:17 PM

Auto paint at your local automotive supply store?

-- Bill, Yo! Brooklyn & Steel City :)

View builtinbkyn's profile


3031 posts in 2153 days

#3 posted 12-11-2017 06:18 PM

There’s also this :)

-- Bill, Yo! Brooklyn & Steel City :)

View EyeUrnMayDen's profile


5 posts in 1550 days

#4 posted 12-11-2017 08:09 PM

for a candy apple finish i like duplicolor anodized finish. you can get it at an auto parts store.
for a true candy finish you need a metallic base underneath.

If you just want a shiny red transparent finish like on a guitar for example, those are dyed with a clear on top.

View OSU55's profile


2817 posts in 3202 days

#5 posted 12-12-2017 04:43 PM

You are wanting whats called a toner. I use Transtint dye in wb finishes, shellac, and lacquer to make any color needed, but I use a spraygun. Pre made spray cans are another issue. As others said the most likely candidate will be found at the auto parts store in the paint section. I agree with above – its the translucent part of candy paint. Not sure how auto paint holds up to wood movement. Dependind on the article size a cheap airbrush from harbor freight would allow you to mix your own and spray.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics