Black wood (or synthetic material?) for thin accent

  • Advertise with us

« back to Wood & Lumber forum

Forum topic by BadgerJoe posted 12-02-2017 08:12 PM 644 views 0 times favorited 8 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View BadgerJoe's profile


24 posts in 1959 days

12-02-2017 08:12 PM

Good Afternoon:

I am planning to build a subwoofer for a relative. The MDF box will be clad in curly maple hardwood. The end grain of the maple will be exposed in some areas, and I’d like to accent it by laminating a very dark (preferably black) material to the interior face of the maple, so that you see a thin black line along all the areas where the end grain is exposed.

I’m looking for a recommendation on a wood or other material that is black, can glue to both maple and MDF and is about 1/8” thick. I can, of course, plane down to that thickness if it doesn’t come in that thickness. I’m looking for something that is readily available and somewhat inexpensive – as apposed to exotic ebony hardwoods. Would black Delrin or some other machineable plastic be a possibility?

Thank you all for your thoughts!


8 replies so far

View bondogaposis's profile


5791 posts in 3129 days

#1 posted 12-02-2017 08:42 PM

Get some wenge veneer.

-- Bondo Gaposis

View BadgerJoe's profile


24 posts in 1959 days

#2 posted 12-02-2017 09:02 PM

Bondo, thanks for the suggestion. Veneer is a little thiner than I’d like for the accent. Wenge would be a perfect material, but is prohibtive in the amounts that I’ll need – about 10 square feet of something 1/8” thick.

View Tennessee's profile


2901 posts in 3292 days

#3 posted 12-02-2017 09:06 PM

I’ve seen an almost black pressboard in at least one of my big box stores. Not entirely black, but doggone close. I cannot remember which one, but it seems to me it would be the same color all the way through, so if it was say, 3/16” or 1/4”, you could resaw it down as you cut your strips. And I would think it would be possible to dye the pressboard with a water based dye that when dry, would retain its gluing capability.

You can buy a bottle of black water based dye in any craft store for around $3.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View MrRon's profile


5913 posts in 4021 days

#4 posted 12-02-2017 09:41 PM

I agree with the previous poster. A wood like pine died with a black dye or india ink. It could also be Japanned using ammonia (I think that is what the process is called).

View Knockonit's profile


675 posts in 980 days

#5 posted 12-02-2017 09:52 PM

I saw a video where a fella used a thin black accent, i’d say an 1/8 or smaller, i did attempt to contact and see what he had used, but as of yet have not heard back, if and when will advise

-- Living the dream

View BadgerJoe's profile


24 posts in 1959 days

#6 posted 12-02-2017 10:00 PM

Thanks all! the black dye idea would work; however, with the sequence of assembly/finishing I have planned, the accent material will get routed after it’s glued up to the maple, so it will need to have a consistent color all the way through.



View Woodknack's profile


13399 posts in 3158 days

#7 posted 12-02-2017 11:13 PM

Look at places like Stew Mac, it sounds like you want something similar to guitar binding.

-- Rick M,

View tomsteve's profile


1039 posts in 1997 days

#8 posted 12-04-2017 01:31 PM

just my opinion, but with curly maple, i wouldnt want to use any plastics. my personal preference would be walnut. it always looks nice as an accent to maples

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics