Tool Chalenge! WTF is this?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by AndrewBarron posted 08-16-2017 03:48 PM 1483 views 0 times favorited 19 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View AndrewBarron's profile


2 posts in 1058 days

08-16-2017 03:48 PM

Seriously. 11” in diameter. Can’t figure out what this is. HELP!!!

19 replies so far

View Loren's profile


10477 posts in 4422 days

#1 posted 08-16-2017 04:08 PM

Milling table of some sort perhaps. The groove
would catch oil used in cutting.

View AndrewBarron's profile


2 posts in 1058 days

#2 posted 08-16-2017 04:11 PM

I don’t think so. Zoom in on the picture and you will see a series of lines running tangential to the centre with gradient marks from 1 to 75 (outside to in). There is 16 marks per ‘ring’. I’m thinking some sort of scribing tool? Or possible a spring gauge?

View pintodeluxe's profile


6157 posts in 3588 days

#3 posted 08-16-2017 04:13 PM

Looks like an old drill press table.

-- Willie, Washington "If You Choose Not To Decide, You Still Have Made a Choice" - Rush

View Aj2's profile


3085 posts in 2572 days

#4 posted 08-16-2017 04:35 PM

Looks like a faceplate to a lathe special made for a top secret operation.

-- Aj

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

6245 posts in 3268 days

#5 posted 08-16-2017 06:10 PM

I’ve seen milling plates designed to make gears that had such markings. That allowed the operator to rotate the piece exactly the correct distance to cut the next tooth in the gear. I think it may have been called a “rotary table”.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

View AlaskaGuy's profile


5803 posts in 3083 days

#6 posted 08-16-2017 06:32 PM

F if i know

-- Alaskan's for Global warming!

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

12180 posts in 4203 days

#7 posted 08-16-2017 06:46 PM

F if i know

- AlaskaGuy


-- Gene 'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

View MrUnix's profile


8094 posts in 2973 days

#8 posted 08-16-2017 07:03 PM

Looks vaguely like the scroll wheel for a lathe chuck. But the graduations marked along the spiral start at one and work their way along the spiral up to seventy something… so perhaps an index pin runs along the spiral and moves the opposite end a fixed amount that is roughly measured on the spiral… otherwise, I got nothing :(


-- Brad in FL - In Dog I trust... everything else is questionable

View msinc's profile


567 posts in 1278 days

#9 posted 08-16-2017 08:46 PM

Removable middle of a router table???? Looks like you might bolt the router to it and drop both down into the cutout in the middle of the table…kind of like my Bosch only it is square. Some older routers had a four bolt pattern on the bottom plate instead of three like the new ones.
When in doubt…throw it like a frisbee. One thing about it…if you don’t figure it out soon you don’t need it. I have gone 55 years without whatever the darn thing is and I cant see needing one if I happen to live another 55!!!!

View mudflap4869's profile


2043 posts in 2233 days

#10 posted 08-16-2017 09:05 PM

A round tuit?

-- Still trying to master kindling making

View TungOil's profile


1382 posts in 1269 days

#11 posted 08-16-2017 09:07 PM

A round tuit?

- mudflap4869

I thought that at first, but I believe it to be a spiral framitz.

-- The optimist says "the glass is half full". The pessimist says "the glass is half empty". The engineer says "the glass is twice as big as it needs to be"

View DS's profile


3503 posts in 3195 days

#12 posted 08-16-2017 09:20 PM

Looks like a back plate for a four jaw chuck.
At least it resembles the one I have (Mine is only 4” diameter though).

-- "Hard work is not defined by the difficulty of the task as much as a person's desire to perform it.", DS251

View papadan's profile


3584 posts in 4143 days

#13 posted 08-16-2017 11:02 PM

Andrew, I do believe you owe mudflap a cigar, he has the best answer to this thread! ;-)

View runswithscissors's profile


3099 posts in 2799 days

#14 posted 08-18-2017 04:05 AM

msinc: You say you have never needed this thing in 55 years of woodworking. But are you sure about that? Think back to the times when you didn’t have quite the right or best tool for some task. So you had to improvise or make do with something that was not quite suitable. Well, this is the tool you needed at those times. Could have been as recently as last week.

-- I admit to being an adrenaline junky; fortunately, I'm very easily frightened

View MrRon's profile


5913 posts in 4018 days

#15 posted 08-18-2017 07:32 PM

I believe it is a dividing plate used on a rotary table for gear cutting on a milling machine.

showing 1 through 15 of 19 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics