What type of hardware is this?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by jtrz posted 05-18-2017 03:24 AM 869 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View jtrz's profile


174 posts in 1941 days

05-18-2017 03:24 AM

Found this wooden painters case and I want to strip the finish and put one more to my taste on it.

It was my great aunts so I am thinking it was made from somewhere between the 60’s to the 80’s. I am going to take the hardware off before I start stripping it but I want to be sure I can get the hardware back on when I’m done. It isn’t attached with screws but instead looks like rivets were used to attach all of the hardware.

Here is an example:

So what exactly was used to attach this hardware? Rivets? If so, I imagine I can’t reuse them. Which isn’t a big deal, I am just curious.

If anyone can shed any light on this let me know.


-- Jeff | Louisville, Ky

7 replies so far

View Picken5's profile


307 posts in 3460 days

#1 posted 05-18-2017 03:56 AM

Can’t say for sure, but looks like hardware I’ve seen on some older luggage pieces. Lots of those were attached with rivets — and the inside of the pieces were lined with fabric which hid the rivets from the inside. You could drill the rivets out and replace them with small sex-bolts.

-- Howard - "Time spent making sawdust is not deducted from one's lifetime." - old Scottish proverb

View Gilley23's profile


489 posts in 1150 days

#2 posted 05-18-2017 04:02 AM

They’re not rivets but they are set in place with a press. They are not meant to be reused.

They do look like they are brass. You could remove them from the inside and solder in a brass screw, then insert from the front and hold in place with a nice finish nut.

View jtrz's profile


174 posts in 1941 days

#3 posted 05-18-2017 04:18 AM

I think this box is the budget or maybe a generic version of boxes made by the Grumbacher company. Maybe it was cheaper to attach the hardware this way rather than with bolts or screws. But then why would they use brass? Sorry, just thinking out loud.

What do you think is the best way to remove them without mangling the wood? I was thinking I would just put a really small dowel into the hole and tap it with a hammer but the “rivet” or whatever has it’s rim embedded in the wood. So I’d probably do some damage if I went at it with a malette.

Any thoughts, as usual, are appreciated.

-- Jeff | Louisville, Ky

View MrUnix's profile


8079 posts in 2967 days

#4 posted 05-18-2017 05:30 AM

Drill them out from behind.. at least enough to push the flared out part inwards easily so you could punch it out the rest of the way. YMMV.


-- Brad in FL - In Dog I trust... everything else is questionable

View jerryminer's profile


960 posts in 2209 days

#5 posted 05-18-2017 07:19 AM

I’m with Brad. Drill them out. You could replace with a brass “Chicago screw” or binding post.

-- Jerry, making sawdust professionally since 1976

View Gilley23's profile


489 posts in 1150 days

#6 posted 05-18-2017 02:22 PM

Drill it with a high speed and low pressure. If they’re brass then the metal will be soft enough. You could also grind them down with a dremmel.

View jtrz's profile


174 posts in 1941 days

#7 posted 05-19-2017 05:28 PM

Drilling is the way to go. They will come out but I have to be really careful because the all of the wood is thin. Definitely going to replace with sex bolts

Thanks everyone

-- Jeff | Louisville, Ky

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics