Tool ID

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by JADobson posted 04-25-2017 12:20 AM 772 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View JADobson's profile


1448 posts in 2917 days

04-25-2017 12:20 AM

Any ideas what this is? My brother found it today. The bottom is a file.

-- No craft is very far from the line beyond which is magic. -- Lord Dunsany — Instagram @grailwoodworks

7 replies so far

View MacWoodNut's profile


3 posts in 1208 days

#1 posted 04-25-2017 12:54 AM

Quite frankly, it looks like a frankenfile to me.
I.E. Cobbled together from tool pieces, plane pieces, a base from yet a different tool…

View chrisstef's profile


18098 posts in 3812 days

#2 posted 04-25-2017 01:12 AM

Saw jointer of some sort? Maybe for a two man saw?

-- Its not a crack, its a casting imperfection.

View bandit571's profile


26159 posts in 3489 days

#3 posted 04-25-2017 01:46 AM

Printer’s type leveler? Set it over a bank of type pieces, and remove any high spots….

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

View bigblockyeti's profile


6639 posts in 2527 days

#4 posted 04-25-2017 03:13 AM

It could be a body file (car body) for times when bondo didn’t exist and repair work was done with lead. It couldn’t be effective (or safely) sanded down until final shaping was needed. The initial removal of the excess was usually done with a body file.

-- "Lack of effort will result in failure with amazing predictability" - Me

View papadan's profile


3584 posts in 4174 days

#5 posted 04-25-2017 03:26 AM

2 points for Yeti, it is an old body file. My grandfather owned a body shop in the 40s and 50s, they used lead instead of bondo.

View bold1's profile


338 posts in 2653 days

#6 posted 04-25-2017 12:19 PM

I don’t agree with the body file. I’ve used them and I never saw one with any type of height guide. I can’t see the guide being of any use in body work unless you had the body piece in some type of flat jig for the guide to set on. I have seen files with height guides to true necks of guitars, but none quite like this. Does it have any makers marks or patent #s?

View JADobson's profile


1448 posts in 2917 days

#7 posted 04-25-2017 06:05 PM

Thanks for the ideas everyone. No maker marks or patent #s. Lends support macwoodnut’s theory but doesn’t help with what it was used for. It was found in a farm outbuilding that had a bunch of old woodworking tools which would lead me to think that it has something to do with wood but its a weird one. I thought perhaps a saw jointer as well but the fence doesn’t look very appropriate for that.

Bandit, your idea seems like a good one, but one would think this would be a standard tool in the shop not something cobbled together.

-- No craft is very far from the line beyond which is magic. -- Lord Dunsany — Instagram @grailwoodworks

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics