Trying to Make Window Stop Molding with My Router Table

  • Advertise with us

« back to Designing Woodworking Projects forum

Forum topic by Pete_LJ posted 01-21-2017 01:07 AM 2198 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Pete_LJ's profile


115 posts in 1716 days

01-21-2017 01:07 AM

Hi there:

I am trying to make a full set of window stop molding (about 120 LF) for a condo we own which is about 90 years old. The window stop molding holds the lower window sash in place. The existing molding is so beat up and broken it cannot be reused or repaired. Instead I would like to make new molding in a similar size and style as the original molding. However I cannot seem to find the right router bit for this project (perhaps I need two router bits and create the molding in two steps. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Pictures of the existing window stop molding are set forth below. The existing molding is 1/2” thick x 1 5/8” deep.

3 replies so far

View Harryn's profile


91 posts in 3558 days

#1 posted 01-21-2017 01:24 AM

This is a standard ogee shape. bits are available from almost any mfr.

View JBrow's profile


1368 posts in 1890 days

#2 posted 01-21-2017 01:55 AM


The profile looks similar to what MLCS calls a Traditional Table Edge router bit. Perhaps one of the two offered by MLCS is close enough to get you going.

View Pete_LJ's profile


115 posts in 1716 days

#3 posted 01-21-2017 02:25 AM


Thank you very much, I did not realize that the required bit was called a table edge bit. Now that I know that I have found several possibilities. Once again, your help is greatly appreciated,

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics