Slide away cabinet door, over the top

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by Tabletop posted 08-23-2016 09:13 AM 914 views 0 times favorited 7 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Tabletop's profile


139 posts in 1721 days

08-23-2016 09:13 AM

Customer wants a credenza with doors that lock, when closed,and roll back into cabinet when open. No problem but these are doors that when opened and out of the way, reveal a drawer that slides out. So I have an inset door that opens from the bottom and slides over the top of the drawer, like a garage door, kinda. Am I making any sense? These doors will be approximately 10” tall by 32” wide. Anyone know what kind of hideaway slide and hinge I should use for the door? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies so far

View PantsBoy's profile


16 posts in 2266 days

#1 posted 08-23-2016 09:29 AM

Probably not gonna help you much, but we get these in South Africa –

View Tabletop's profile


139 posts in 1721 days

#2 posted 08-23-2016 10:10 AM

Thanks pantsboy. From the best I can tell these would be for like a roll top desk with segmented door(the proper term has left me). My door will be solid. It will swing up and then slide straight back into cabinet. Like doors on an entertainment center that when closed hide the television but when opened slide back into cabinet revealing the tv. Except this will be horizontal instead of vertical.

View JBrow's profile


1368 posts in 1894 days

#3 posted 08-23-2016 11:23 AM


I think I understand your project; if I do it sounds similar the operation of a doors on a barrister bookcase. A Google search for barrister bookcase hardware will reveal a few hardware sources. Here is one example from such a search, sold on Amazon.

View Tabletop's profile


139 posts in 1721 days

#4 posted 08-23-2016 11:37 AM

Jbrow, perfect! Thanks

View MrRon's profile


5975 posts in 4217 days

#5 posted 08-23-2016 07:53 PM

View GR8HUNTER's profile


8259 posts in 1686 days

#6 posted 08-24-2016 03:33 AM

they are called flipper door hardware

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN :<))

View Tabletop's profile


139 posts in 1721 days

#7 posted 08-24-2016 05:52 AM

Thanks MrRon, tambour door is what I was trying to think of earlier. Those won’t work on this.
GR8Hunter thanks for the link, those are an option. When you search flipper doors or barrister(JBrow) it gives a lot of options. I just didn’t know what I was looking for but now I do. Thanks again

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics