What kind of hinge is this?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Joinery forum

Forum topic by YakYakYak posted 07-03-2016 01:20 PM 678 views 0 times favorited 3 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View YakYakYak's profile


2 posts in 1140 days

07-03-2016 01:20 PM

Topic tags/keywords: question

Looking for some help identifying some old style hinges and how I can reproduce the T in the wood. What router bit would I use? Could this be accomplished with a drill by any chance?

Thanks for the help!

3 replies so far

View TravisH's profile


678 posts in 2382 days

#1 posted 07-03-2016 01:39 PM

I would likely use straight with a plunge router or break down and finally buy some spiral up cut bits. You could use a drill and drill bits if you wanted would work fine if you took your time but would get old very quick if doing a a bunch of doors.

View 000's profile


2859 posts in 1346 days

#2 posted 07-03-2016 02:27 PM

Google demountable hinges.
They make a cutter router bit to cut them in.

View YakYakYak's profile


2 posts in 1140 days

#3 posted 07-03-2016 04:27 PM

Thanks for the information from all. Since I’m doing this just for 4 hinges I may try a drill bit and drill since I don’t have a router right now. Otherwise it might be better to buy new hinges.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics