fulton, or millers fallsor both

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by jwmalone posted 07-01-2016 08:32 PM 831 views 0 times favorited 4 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View jwmalone's profile


769 posts in 1181 days

07-01-2016 08:32 PM

I bought a hand plane for 10 bucks. has a millers falls logo with red paint around the letters on the cap (the piece that holds the iron and chip break ?) but on the left cheek it says fulton no. 5260. I assume the parts are interchangeable. Grandpa was a Stanley man so I don’t know much about the others, it works great all I did was sharpen the iron and clean it up. I know sears contracted with mf and others, does anyone know if it came this way or were some parts swaped around. Sorry no pics.

-- "Boy you could get more work done it you quit flapping your pie hole" Grandpa

4 replies so far

View chrisstef's profile


17955 posts in 3485 days

#1 posted 07-01-2016 10:21 PM

Sounds like a mf lever cap on a fulton plane. Whats the iron say? Any markings on it?

If it works, it works. Make shaves, not war.

-- Its not a crack, its a casting imperfection.

View jumbojack's profile


1689 posts in 3103 days

#2 posted 07-02-2016 05:25 AM

I have one similar. It is a Frankenplane.

-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith

View bandit571's profile


23589 posts in 3162 days

#3 posted 07-02-2016 06:23 AM

Couple of things..

Millers Falls usually stamped a plane’s model number into the side of the plane.

IF the lateral lever has a single “tab” bent down where the thumb can adjust it, that would be a M-F MADE plane

When Millers Falls made planes for other sellers ( like Sears/Fulton, etc) they used a plain lever cap, reserving the more fancy one for their own brand of planes.

Note the rear handle (“tote”)...Millers Falls made ones were more angular, without a lot of curves.

Under the front knob, the front end of the plane slopes up towards the base of the knob, and forms a ring. Stanley and Sargent made planes were flat, with Stanley adding a ring around the knob, otherwise it was flat.

Could be a M-F made plane, that someone added a fancy levercap to it.

BTW: The iron may have a number on it, that begins with a 107.5260…..Sears used a 107 code for things made by Millers Falls that they sold.

-- A Planer? I'M the planer, this is what I use

View Don W's profile

Don W

19314 posts in 3046 days

#4 posted 07-02-2016 11:34 AM

Sounds like a mf lever cap on a fulton plane. Whats the iron say? Any markings on it?

If it works, it works. Make shaves, not war.

- chrisstef

What Stef said!!

-- - Collecting is an investment in the past, and the future.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics