Slip/loose tenons

  • Advertise with us

« back to Joinery forum

Forum topic by revanson11 posted 06-03-2016 06:14 PM 795 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View revanson11's profile


112 posts in 3249 days

06-03-2016 06:14 PM

Topic tags/keywords: tenon slip loose joinery joining

Okay, this is going to sound really dumb to some of you but I have a question concerning tenons. I am familiar with mortise and tenon joinery but I am a little confused with what is called slip or loose tenons. I am working on a project that calls for slip tenons and I am a little confused about gluing them. If it is called a slip/loose tenon are they still supposed to be glued in place? If so why would it be called loose/slip? Thanks for any clarity on this issue.

-- Randy, Central MN

2 replies so far

View bondogaposis's profile


5891 posts in 3267 days

#1 posted 06-03-2016 06:24 PM

First they are not called “loose tenons” because they are loose, they should fit snug like any other tenon. The reason for them being called loose is that there are 2 mortises and the tenon is a separate piece of wood attached to both mortises by glue. Clear as the plot in a Faulkner novel?

-- Bondo Gaposis

View endgrainy's profile


251 posts in 2804 days

#2 posted 06-04-2016 12:32 AM

A slip or loose tenon is just a tenon that was not originally part of the workpiece, as opposed to an integral tenon. Yes, the loose tenon should be glued into place in the mortises on each workpiece of the joint. A Festool Domino is an example of a loose tenon.

-- Follow me on Instagram @endgrainy

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics