Hand mortising tool?

  • Advertise with us

« back to Hand Tools forum

Forum topic by Josh posted 11-02-2015 06:11 PM 790 views 0 times favorited 5 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View Josh's profile


19 posts in 2405 days

11-02-2015 06:11 PM

Topic tags/keywords: chisel joining arts and crafts question

A couple nights ago I watched a bunch of different random woodworking videos on youtube. One video had a guy using a 4 sided chisel for mortising (just like an electric mortiser/drill bit would have) but this had a roundish top that he struck with either a hammer or mallet.

Did I just dream this or does this unicorn exist?

Also, if it does exist, could I use it after drilling a hole with a forstener bit to square out the sides? (Why yes, I am looking for a way to make mortises easier without buying a mortiser.)

5 replies so far

View HokieKen's profile


14477 posts in 1938 days

#1 posted 11-02-2015 06:17 PM

I’ve never seen a 4-sided one. I’ve seen 2 sided “corner” chisels but haven’t ever really heard anything good about them. I guess if you really wanted a 4 sided one you could buy a chisel for drill press type mortising machine and fit a handle to it for striking.

-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!

View bondogaposis's profile (online now)


5802 posts in 3151 days

#2 posted 11-02-2015 06:30 PM

I have a square hole punch. Like this. It is only for using with decorative plugs, they don’t cut very deep. I couldn’t imaging mortising w/ them.

-- Bondo Gaposis

View AZWoody's profile


1477 posts in 2024 days

#3 posted 11-02-2015 07:48 PM

You can get this and slide it over a mortise machine chisel. Was this what he had?

View Josh's profile


19 posts in 2405 days

#4 posted 11-02-2015 08:18 PM

You can get this and slide it over a mortise machine chisel. Was this what he had?

- AZWoody

Very close. It was metal, but this will do in its stead perfectly. Thanks!

View pintodeluxe's profile


6173 posts in 3613 days

#5 posted 11-02-2015 08:29 PM

Lee valley sells them, but as Bondo mentioned they are only good for decorative pegs and shallow holes. The handheld versions are a little more stout than the hollow chisels used or mortising joinery. They are called square hole punches, and some versions allow you to run a drill bit down a hole in the top. The problem is, there is nothing to guide your hands to stay vertical.

The sad thing is buying a benchtop mortiser might actually cost less than a full set of the handheld variety.

-- Willie, Washington "If You Choose Not To Decide, You Still Have Made a Choice" - Rush

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics