Where to buy a dust collection flange with a 6" port

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by _Larry_ posted 10-23-2015 11:04 PM 9052 views 2 times favorited 26 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View _Larry_'s profile


9 posts in 2020 days

10-23-2015 11:04 PM

Topic tags/keywords: dust collection 6 port 6 inch port grizzly tablesaw jointer better dust collection larger ports tool modification

Does anyone know where I can order dust collection flanges with 6” ports for my Grizzly table saw and jointer?

Table saw:

I can find 4” ports all over the place, but no 6”.


26 replies so far

View AandCstyle's profile


3288 posts in 3174 days

#1 posted 10-23-2015 11:17 PM

Larry, is this what you want? I run 6” PVC as close to the machine as possible, then use an HVAC reducer todrop to 5” flex tubing and finally a 5-4” reducer to attach to the manufacturers 4” port. HTH

-- Art

View _Larry_'s profile


9 posts in 2020 days

#2 posted 10-24-2015 12:54 AM

Thanks for your reply!

That might work.
Of course, I haven’t even measured my tools yet to see how large the openings are.
I was thinking of something like this, but with a 6” port.

I want to run 6” pipe from the collector to my machines with no reductions.

View crank49's profile


4032 posts in 3887 days

#3 posted 10-24-2015 01:19 AM

What size collector do you have?

View _Larry_'s profile


9 posts in 2020 days

#4 posted 10-24-2015 01:35 AM

I haven’t bought it yet.
I’m still in the planning phase…figuring out where it’s going to go in the shop and designing the ducting layout.
I plan to get Clearvue cyclone CV1800.

View AZWoody's profile


1478 posts in 2140 days

#5 posted 10-24-2015 05:12 AM

You’re not going to find them for sale. The good thing is, they’re easy to make.

If you’re going to spend the money on a dust collector like the CV1800, you’re going to be wasting it’s potential by adapting down to 4”. You will have to cut the hole larger on your machines but it’s pretty easy to adapt a new size flange to what you have. For the table saw though, I would leave the 4 inch and run a 4” line to the cabinet and either make or buy a shark guard with a 4” port on the top to give you above and below the blade dust collection.
Clearvue can sell you an adaptor that takes a 6” and splits to 2 4” ports.

I a clearvue with 6” ducting and had to modify most of my tools to work with 6” hosing attached. It’s not that difficult to do for most. I have a friend who did some simple metal fabrication on some of the pieces that really had to be modified but for the basics like the table saw and jointer, they’re simple.

Shoot me a pm if you have any questions on what we did for my shop.

View crank49's profile


4032 posts in 3887 days

#6 posted 10-24-2015 05:49 AM

That systems claim of 1440 CFM is meaningless because they don’t give you the pressure.
It’s probably a decent machine with the 5 hp motor and I m not trying to put it down, but a person can’t design a system without knowing what CFM at what inches of static pressure they have to work with.

That is like saying my car is very efficient, it will do 120 MPH.
My car gets 30 MPG.

Those can both be true statements about the same car. But that does not mean that car can get 30 MPG while traveling at 120 MPH.

Same thing with dust collectors. Since the collector has a 6” inlet it would be safe to assume it only is capable of pulling about 800 CFM with perhaps 10” static to work with. These numbers are just educated guesses, but I think they are reasonable. and would result in a system with an air velocity of 4000 FPM working with 6” pipe.

You might just want to cut that 4” hose connector out to a 6” hole and glue a piece of 6” duct into the hole.
Or, for a table saw I would use the 4” that is kinda standard for brlow the table and then add another 4” duct above the table. That would use up most of the capacity and keep things balanced.

View ElChe's profile


630 posts in 2253 days

#7 posted 10-24-2015 06:58 AM

Can you use an angle ring to make a 6” dust port?{C068CD85-D0CE-4C39-99D2-F0F0E0617978}

The link is broken but go to standard ductwork and then select angle rings with collar.

-- Tom - Measure twice cut once. Then measure again. Curse. Fudge.

View Fred Hargis's profile

Fred Hargis

6571 posts in 3410 days

#8 posted 10-24-2015 11:38 AM

Go to the box store and get some 6” HVAC “starter collars”, these are just 6” flanges that will fit onto a piece of 1/2” plywood cut to whatever size you want. The nice thing about these is that the 6” flex will slip right over the end and clamp down nicely. I’ve used these on several tools where I wanted a 6” connection, and they work real well.

-- Our village hasn't lost it's idiot, he was elected to congress.

View English's profile


689 posts in 2394 days

#9 posted 10-24-2015 01:47 PM

The fan curves for all of the clearvue cyclones are available at there site if you sign in. List flow and static with different inlet duct sizes.

-- John, Suffolk Virgina

View Robert's profile


4152 posts in 2397 days

#10 posted 10-24-2015 02:03 PM

Penn State Industries.

-- Everything is a prototype thats why its one of a kind!!

View _Larry_'s profile


9 posts in 2020 days

#11 posted 10-24-2015 03:10 PM

Thanks for all of the ideas. Looks like I will end up making them. I believe that the HVAC starter collars are the cheapest option.

View _Larry_'s profile


9 posts in 2020 days

#12 posted 10-24-2015 09:44 PM

The 1,442 CFM stated on the website is the max CFM through a 6” metal duct (according to the manual). I believe the point of stating it like that, is that the engineer that designed the system specifically designed it to get at least 1,000 CFM at the tool through a 6” duct, hence the 5 HP motor and the 15” impeller.
You can read all about it at the designer’s website:

Through 6” duct, it has 1,000 CFM at 12” of static pressure.

View Holbs's profile


2366 posts in 2946 days

#13 posted 10-25-2015 03:17 PM

I remember Penn State Industries used to sell a 6” bell mouth. But as of today, my year old bookmark of the item is not longer available. A search of bellmouth or bell mouth comes up empty. Guess I will be making my own when it comes time to build my Thein Baffle Top Hat Version2. If doing lots of PVC and a DIY’r, keep this youtube video in mind: of how to make your own fittings. With a heat gun, you can easily make your own bellmouth’s as well such as:

-- The Carpenter Bee is derived from the Ancient Greek word wood-cutter "xylokopos/ξυλοκὀπος"

View Robert's profile


4152 posts in 2397 days

#14 posted 10-26-2015 05:28 PM

Found this at Home Depot.

-- Everything is a prototype thats why its one of a kind!!

View Paul Mayer's profile

Paul Mayer

1136 posts in 3982 days

#15 posted 10-28-2015 07:21 PM

These are easy to make and work better than the commercial ones. Just trace the outline onto the plywood, but with jig saw, insert pipe and caulk. I use a coupler as a quick disconnect and it works great. The flex hose just tucks perfectly into the other side of the coupler.

-- Paul Mayer,

showing 1 through 15 of 26 replies

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics