Pen Mandrels, #1 and #2 ??

  • Advertise with us

« back to Power Tools, Hardware and Accessories forum

Forum topic by jayman7 posted 10-07-2009 05:17 AM 4674 views 0 times favorited 2 replies Add to Favorites Watch
View jayman7's profile


219 posts in 4791 days

10-07-2009 05:17 AM

I’m thinking about learning how to turn pens lately. I have a nice county government owned shop in the area with a nice set of lathes so I don’t have to go buy one myself. I might even take a pen turning class in Woodcraft, but until then I’m trying to read up on it and watch some videos. I was looking at the hardware needed at Woodcraft’s webpage and I noticed two different types of mandrels. A #1 MT and #2 MT. I can’t seem to find what the difference is and what I’ll end up needing in the end. Thanks!

2 replies so far

View RetiredCoastie's profile


999 posts in 4469 days

#1 posted 10-07-2009 05:41 AM

Be careful, pen turning is addictive. The #1 MT and #2 MT is dependent on the lathe you will be using. It’s the Morse taper which is the tapered fitting that is inserted into the head stock shaft and tail stock shaft. You should be able to get the Morse taper needed from the data plate on the lathe or ask some one that’s familiar with the lathe in your shop. I would recomend this mandrel.

Good luck and enjoy the craft, it’s a lot of fun and relaxing.

-- Proud Supporter of Homes For Our Troops

View jayman7's profile


219 posts in 4791 days

#2 posted 10-07-2009 05:59 AM

Thanks for the information! They’re brand new Powermatic lathes. I’m almost positive it’s this one since they look exactly the same:

It says a ”#2 Morse” so I guess that’s the one I’ll get! Thanks again!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to reply.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics