LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Year Book

I originally posted the following as a forum topic, but decided this would better fit as a blog. My intent is to do an annual update. You can find the comments to the original posting here . This will be a slow blog - only one post per year! Should be fun as it builds over time though ..

A little more than a year ago, I found a link to a LJ project posting from another web site. I spent several weeks looking at all the great projects. Finally, I decided to share the Lazy Susan my dad and I built. I was surprised by how many wonderful comments were posted and immediately felt very welcome.
I spent way too much time on this site (I guess that is a matter of opinion ;) in the first few months. I learned about making end grain cutting boards (imagine that) and found tools and guidance to help me make my own cutting boards . I also managed to post by first blog on the build. Again there were lots of comments and support - what a fun place to be!
Not much later I started another blog on building kitchen stools . I was not sure how many people would be interested in watching me take next to forever to build one project. I do not mind taking months and months to finish a large project, but I was not sure it would make for a good story. Again the comments and suggestions showed up with each new post.
Most recently, I posted some shop jigs - I had mentioned in my shop description that I would do this and I had not gotten it done. Even after nearly a year, I find it fun to see how people respond to my work. I know I certainly enjoy seeing what others are doing. I even got to experience the honor of being on the top of the "Hot Projects" page for a while!
I finally have enough projects posted that I am waiting for my projects to show up on the "Roll the Dice" feature on the homepage! I wonder how long it will be…
Thank you all for a enjoyable first year and especially thank you Martin for a wonderful site!

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Good idea to post this as a blog Steve. Most of your projects were posted before I joined and a blog like this serves as a look back into past work. Sometimes looking at a body of work at once gives a better perspective and a better basis for comment than just a single project posting. On that note, I like your work and I also enjoy your comments on the work of others.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Thanks for the comments all,

Bureaucrat made a comment on the original post about his upcoming 3 year anniversary and I realized I would be having a post each year - "Shoot - this should be a blog!"

Autumn - I expect I can use the help to spot my projects on "Roll the Dice" The odds get longer as we get more members!
Shipwright - Thanks for the compliments - I also got perspective when I reflected on the past year.
Barb - I'm glad you're here too! Maybe someday I will find myself in Wenatchee…
Dez - Thanks - By the way I figured out your signature acronym all by myself - except for the last "E". I saw where you explained it - now I know!
Ellen - Likewise! The chairs are coming along. I had a side project that I needed to fit in. I plan on posting a short blog and project on that soon. Fall is coming and that usually means more shop time…
Debbie - You read my mind! It will be a series that grows by one chapter a year! Next one scheduled for Halloween 2011…

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A second year on LJs

10/31/2011 It's another Halloween evening and it is time for a yearbook entry. A good thing to do while waiting for trick-or-treaters.

This year was a little harder to find LumberJocks time. Several personal events took time away. The site's popularity has grown (a good thing) and that has made it a challenge to keep up with all that is going on.

I finished out last year's entry by saying I was waiting to see me up on the "Roll-the-Dice" part of the front page. It wasn't long and I found it!

Product Font Screenshot Software Web page

A little longer and I found it again!

Product Font Screenshot Rectangle Software

I think it was good luck since it has been several months and I have not seen it again. Of course there are a lot more projects on the site now - that might have something to do with it.

Martyn (aka BritBoxmaker) reminded me of one of the events of the last year. He and I had a chance to collaborate on a lip feature for one of his boxes . He did a blog on the technique. It was a treat to have a part in one of his creations - a true high point of my LJ year! (Thanks for the reminder Martyn!)

I added a couple blog entries to the kitchen stool project . The project is taking plenty of time to finish. On the other hand, the blog entries move right along - you have to look at the days between posts to know how slow it moves ;)

I started another blog series (another slow mover - notice a trend?) I have a special box of Koa wood and I thought it would be fun to show how I use it over time - lots of time.

I added two more projects - one was the first Koa project and the other a set of Christmas gifts . The nice thing about the Christmas gift projects is that they were inspired by other LJ projects.

I have also spent a good deal of time upgrading a travel trailer we got. I'm not not done yet so I haven't posted anything.

I look forward to another year of sharing my work and learning from all of you on the site!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Congrats Steve, I just passed my first but I was away and missed it.

I for one love to follow your work and always find your comments insightful.
Happy birthday and many returns, my friend.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Thanks all!

Dennis - yes time flies and I am having fun!

Ellen - Right back at ya! A tea box is moving up on my project list - thanks to you!

Steve - Your projects seem to get me thinking about ways to improve my woodworking

Roger - Thanks - No matter what I make, I always make dust!

Edit note: I added a paragraph at the beginning about my time on the site (I just missed it the first time around ;)

1 - 20 of 124 Posts