LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18,242 Posts
Im looking to buy or trade (lumber, tools, skills) a barn beam to use as a mantle for our fireplace. Looking for something in the 6"x6"x8' range. Located in central CT. If anyone has a beam of that nature kicking around id love to see what you've got. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Hey Stef, if you can't find a suitable beam, here's the alternative I chose. I made my own fake beam out of 1x pine. It's around 6" high and 12" deep in the middle with a curved front. No one who's ever looked at it realized it wasn't solid unless I told them.

Wood Brick Brickwork Wall Gas

Plant Wood Brick Wood stain Brickwork

Plant Building Wood Brick Beam

Attachments

·
Registered
18,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's my back up plan Bob. Ive got some nailed riddled reclaimed oak kicking around the shop that I can use if I cant come up with a reasonably priced beam.

I really like like the whole set up you've got going on there. The stone work is killer.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Bob that's a nice fake beam.

Stef you got to have a beam guy on your payroll, no? (if you did you wouldn't be asking) #
Code:
&$#
!!!!
Don't know any beam guys in CT, few other guys but no beam guys.

·
Registered
18,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No beam guy unfortunately but pillaging around the shop today i stumbled across some lumber i had totally forgot about. Some wide board pine boards from the Loomis Chafee Homestead which was built sometime in the early 18th century in windsor ct. Ill rock it Bob style and box it all out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.